What time does it actually start getting light? When to get in stand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the weather website it shows sunup at 7:35, but I was wondering what time it actually gets light. Do you think being at my spot on the ground at 6:30 in the morning is to late?

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like to be sitting in my stand by 6, thats pretty well the standard for me, and I still ran deer off on the way to my stand opening morning. it actually starts getting light around 6:50-7:00, so IMO 6:30 is a little late, but all depends on your area, if your in thick woods it will take a little longer to get daylight, but I'm in light woods/pasture and it gets light quicker.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say twilight is at 6:45-7:00, maybe a little earlier. Personally, I try to get in there atleast 45 minutes before I can see without a light. Lets everything calm down to what noise you do make after coming in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a hour before shooting time person. But a buddy that can't get out of bed before 7 kills them too. I just love hearing the woods wake up around me. My favorite time of the day. :D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been getting into the stand around 6:30 and that seems plenty early to me. I am still sitting there in the dark for quite a while before it gets light enough to see anything. One of my buddies that has done a lot of research in deer habits for OSU keeps telling me that if I really want to kill a big buck to sleep in and go out and get into the stand around 9 am. It would have worked fine with the biggest buck I have ever killed last year since I shot him at 10:30 in the morning.

APeterson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently, I get in the stand between 5:30 a.m. & 6:00 a.m. then relax until my feeder goes off @ 7:00 a.m.
Deer usually arrive to chew on acorns & corn around 7:30 to 9:30. If there is a full moon expect the deer to move later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom