Need help with single shot .22's for kids christmas presents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to pick up two single shot .22's for my kids for their first gun and christmas present. I know there are the Crickets, but I remember seeing some inexpensive training rifles out there too.For the life of me, I cant find any now. What do you guys suggest and where to get them?

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Henry IIRC makes a youth model bolt gun. Marlin has one. The top of the line IMO would be the CZ452 youth model. Thompson Center has a youth model also.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my son the Cricket for his first gun. It is a great starter gun. If you are in the area sometime, I would be happy to let you check it out.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&R makes some, essentially a rim fire Handi-Rifle. The Compact should be approximately youth-sized. I have had good luck with H&R single shot scatter guns, but there are mixed opinions about their rifled offerings. Good forum talk about them here. I believe WalMart carries them in store - if not they should be able to order them, as can any dealer hooked up with Davidson's as a distributor. I am unsure who in OKC would have them on hand to look at.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/sportster.asp

Rossi makes matched pairs, which swap a .22 barrel for a .410 or .17 for a 20 gauge when the grow into something larger. Pretty cool little sets, and I think Academy carries still them in store (I know they used to).

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=3

Nothing wrong with a Cricket IMHO, but these are some of the other options out there, since you asked. These are also true single shots, not bolt action or self-loading or lever-action repeaters.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one of the Henry Mini-Bolts a few years back for my oldest grandson.
No reason other than it was the one he saw.
It's proven to be an accurate and dependable little plinker.
He has moved on to bigger and better things since.
But I've used it for the other grandkids also.
No complaints from anyone as of yet.
Don't think you can go wrong with any of the current production single shots out there.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if it is still in production but I started both my kids on a Marlin Buckaroo. All I could afford at the time.
If I were starting now, I'd look hard at the Thompson Center knowing what I know now about how accurate and configurable the Contender-based guns are.

Latest posts

Top Bottom