Legality of carrying a rifle/long-gun/shotgun in your car ..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okprepper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is it legal and does the ammo have to be locked up seperate , just want to get some information on the subject matter. and dont want to get a round in my ass if i get stoped with a rifle in my car lol exaggeration. but just want some opinions and how to legally carry a long gun securely in your vehicle maby a LEO would give me some information on this matter

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found this: http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_ok.htm

A person is permitted to carry firearms open and not concealed when hunting, during safety class, target shooting, for a military function, for a police function, or for entertainment events or historical reenactments.

A person is permitted to carry unloaded firearms open and not concealed when going to or from the person’s private residence or vehicle, or to a gun shop, gun show, or hunting, target shooting, or other sporting activity.

A person may transport an unloaded firearm openly in a motor vehicle at any time.

It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, though there are some exceptions for firearms carried by those with a concealed carry license.

I have a couple of friends that are troopers and they told me as long as it is not loaded there shouldnt be an issue.

okprepper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks , i am glad to finally get a consience of carrying in the vehicle openly ..i was thinking of a external lock-box for my mag when i do carry in my car .. . thanks for the information

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks , i am glad to finally get a consience of carrying in the vehicle openly ..i was thinking of a external lock-box for my mag when i do carry in my car .. . thanks for the information

Lots of people get all wrapped around the axle about the ammo, but the simple fact is that nobody in OK cares where the ammo is when it is NOT in the gun.
I can rubber band a loaded magazine to an EMPTY gun and toss it on the seat if I want.
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2010.pdf

In other more restrictive states, laws can differ.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what?

If you've got a CCW you can carry loaded period, in your car or not. There are no restrictions about whether or not one is in the pipe.

We are talking about long guns. There absolutely is a law regarding having a rifle loaded but not chamber loaded for CCW permit holders.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what?

If you've got a CCW you can carry loaded period, in your car or not. There are no restrictions about whether or not one is in the pipe.

We are talking about long guns. There absolutely is a law regarding having a rifle loaded but not chamber loaded for CCW permit holders.

He is talking about open carrying a long gun. Yes, with a CCW permit not only can you carry in any condition you want as long as its concealed, but you can also transport a long gun as long as there is not one in the tube.

Latest posts

Top Bottom