Review of Dick's Sporting Goods Soft Opening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went by Dick's Sporting Goods soft opening at Tulsa Hills this morning and couldn't have been more disappointed. Looked, pretty much, like Academy Sports on the inside with a smaller selection of lots of stuff but not much of anything. Wandered back to the shooting area and noticed that there were no handguns or handgun ammo, so I asked "You guys have any handguns?" "No way, never" was the response I got, "We're more of a hunting and fishing store." So then a guy walks up and asks if they have any copies of the Hunting Regulations for Oklahoma. Three guys starting looking on the shelves that held the very small selection of shotgun shells, obviously without a clue about what he was talking about. Once I explained what he was looking for they went in the back but the guy shook his head and said he'd just go to Bass Pro. I agreed that was a good idea. The guys came back empty handed. I asked if they had a certain shotgun in stock, a Benelli Super Nova and they didn't but said they could get it in 2-3 weeks if I ordered it. As it was explained to me, they order from a distributor in Illinois, Jerry's, but if Jerry's doesn't have it they can't get it.
I spent 25 minutes in there and won't be going back. Another "Sporting Goods" store with guys working the counter who don't even shoot, let alone hunt. The fact that they don't carry handguns/handgun ammo or accessories tells me that they aren't believers of our Second Amendment rights. Their ammo selection was very poor and consisted primarily of Remington. The shelves were full, so I know it's not because their stock was short for soft opening. Other sections of the store weren't any better. Fully stocked but not much selection. I'll stick with Academy and Bass Pro when I want anything from a big box store.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shopped at a lot of DSGs back east...your comparison to Acadamy is about spot on.

It's more of a biking, skiing, court sport type of joint than a hunting, fishing, shooting, outdoors store. They have that stuff, but it always felt like they were just tipping their hat to it.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well crap, I have been waiting to visit the one in Broken Arrow. I like Academy prices, but Bass Pro service. We paid a little more for my wifes PK380 at Bass Pro than what Academy had it for, but the guy at Bass Pro was retired Leo and talked with us for over 30 minutes about guns, shooting stance, calibers, etc. It was a very pleasant purchase. I will continue to buy from Bass Pro when needed, but that was before I joined this forum and will make sure I do business with our sponsors in the future. I hope to be in the market soon for an AR, and all the used ones for sale are killing me right now.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking they might have made an error opening 3 stores in this market at once.

They either intended to agressively shut down Academy or they have their head up their behinds.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dick's made a big deal a few years ago about not carrying firearms, especially handguns-----my understanding is they are very much 'anti-gun'

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went by the Tulsa Hills location lastnight and check them out.. I wasn't impressed at all either.

I used to live in VA, and had been to Dicks many time, but those stores were formerly Galyans that were bought out by Dicks... not the same thing at all!

I agree 100% with the OP, Lots of different sections, not much of a selection of anything..

I did notice the prices on a few items that I've bought recently at other shops.. Small waterproof boxes that I use while kayak fishing, I buy them out of the camping dept at Wal-Mart for 9.99.. the same box is $14.99 at Dicks. Federal Black Cloud shotgun shells are 25 and change and Academy, and are just shy of $28 at Dicks. Senko soft plastics, are $6.49 at Dicks and Academy, but $8+ at Basspro..

I don't think Academy will be hurt by the new competitor, but Sports Authority better watch out.. they carry essentially the same product in a newer cleaner store..

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's really disappointing. I went to a dicks sporting goods in Plano that was really nice. I was kind of hoping these would be similar. I agree three all at once all either on or not very far off of 71st is a little much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom