Weather/Emergency Radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm shopping for an emergency radio; I'd like it to accept batteries, have solar power, hand crank power, a USB charger for a cell, good audio, good reception and most importantly well built. (water-proof, AC power, headphone jack, S.A.M.E. technology & shortwave reception would all be gravy)

Most of these style radios that I've found are really poor quality, built with plastic parts that are pretty susceptible to breakage. I'm thinking I'm looking in the wrong places, does anybody have any recommendations? Or know of a store that has a good selection? Most stores I find them in have 1 or 2 models on the shelf.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Kaito Voyager series are nice. I have one in our 'kit'.

http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-Electro...MNRM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320757552&sr=8-3

Solar, crank, battery, usb, and D/C power input...along with USB power out for charging cell phones (cells with usb capability). Headphone jack. Weather bands, 2 shortwave bands, am/fm....and LED flood/spot lights.

+1 on the Kaito Voyager.

Used it last night to listen to NOAA weather. I have not even put batteries in it yet as I use the hand crank to charge up the internals... I bought mine over at Red Dawn in Midwest City. Probably can get cheaper, but I like to support the local folks if possible.....

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reading some positive reviews on C.Crane products. Haven't found much on Kaito but I've shopped several of their products so I appreciate the feedback.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the stuff you'll find says "Made in China" on it somewhere. A programmable scanner or a good set of GMRS two way radios will have the weather channel pre-programmed in.

The weather channel frequency for the area is 162.4

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the stuff you'll find says "Made in China" on it somewhere. A programmable scanner or a good set of GMRS two way radios will have the weather channel pre-programmed in.

The weather channel frequency for the area is 162.4

All also likely to say "Made in China" as well, LOL. Hard to avoid these days.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not country of origin I'm having problems with. It's the touch test, I pick these things up I you can tell if you dropped it on the floor plastic parts would snap and/or crack. I don't intend to drag it down stairs but it should relatively tough given its purpose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom