.300 Blackout AR Upper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Double Tap

Considering getting a .300 Blackout upper for my AR. I was wondering if anyone has picked one up. Looks like a good 30cal round to run out of an AR platform. Uses standard 223 mags (reduced capacity I think) and can be run sub-sonic for suppression. Looks like it might be the next “got to have it, can’t live without it”. So has anyone had one to the range?

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to be here to stay as some major manufacturers have picked it up. S&W has a M&P 15 out in 300blk. now I keep hearing that UMC ammo is going to be about $12 a box when it hits the shelves if it hasn't already. I'm thinking about building one after I get my 6.8spc finished.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't shot one yet, but I'm considering one with about a 9" barrel and AAC 7.62-SDN-6 suppressor. I'll probably wait till next year to jump in though. I'd like to see more brass & dedicated projectiles available on the market. I can see needing to reload for this one, especially with my registered full auto lower! :)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked seriously into this caliber, but the more I read, the stronger an impression I got that it's best used in a suppressed SBR. In a non-suppressed non-SBR platform, other calibers do just as good, or better, of a job. Plus, the ammo ain't exactly cheap as others have mentioned, so I'd have to be miserly with my ammo usage or start reloading. Also, at this time, I don't care to do the paperwork or fork over the $200, or wait for months and months before Uncle Sam graciously allows me to own that firearm. So I passed - for now, anyway.

D

Double Tap

I’ve been reading about the ballistics both super and sub-sonic, and honestly for how good (or bad depending on your point of view) the terminal ballistics are on this round, and to NOT have another dedicated lower or another collection of magazines I think this might be the buy for me. I have a SBR on a form 1. Now the way I read the form, it can ONLY have a .223 upper on it, however I sent an email to my class 3 guy to make sure. So until I’m sure one way or the other, I’m going to hold off one getting a 9” or 10” upper. Not for sure if I want to suppress it or not, I have a suppressed bolt gun (.308), however I like the idea of getting into a 30cal AR platform suppressor so if I go onto a 7.62X39 or .308 I would have one can that would move around.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When you do the form 1 for the SBR you list a specific barrel length and caliber. You can switch your upper however much you want to, you just have to be able to put in back in the "stock" configuration according to the form 1 you filled out.
You can absolutely go back and forth between the 300BLK to a .223 to a .22, etc.... as long as it goes back to the original configuration.

If you fill out the papers for a 10" barreled 300BLK and later decide you don't want that anymore and decide to sell it and would rather have a 7" 223 as the registered upper for it, you'll have to send a letter to the ATF stating the changes you've made.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what's the obsession with building AK-47 on AR platform? Well ... minus the double the cost ... and expensive ammo ... and AR "reliability".

Or is it just a way of admitting that com-bloc came up with ultimate small-arms cartridge back in 1943, without actually admitting to it ... or making the rifle look like AK-47 because, ummmm ... that's for commies and gangsters, right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom