Felons and muzzleloaders...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The feds may not but some states do limit what a convicted felon may hunt with.

If they don't then its just more proof in the pudding that the feds don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.

Smooth bore or rifled just because you push the bullet in from a different end doesn't mean that a muzzle loader isn't a firearm.

Federal law agrees: Any weapon that expels a projectile via an explosive is considered a firearm and a muzzle loader definitely fits that criteria. In addition to what is shown below 18 USC 922 also is the law that prohibits convicted felons from posessing firearms thus a felon can't own a muzzleloader.

See 18 USC 922(g).

The statute defines a firearm as the following:

Any weapon (including a starter gun) that expels a projectile by the action of an explosive
The frame or receiver of any such weapon
Firearm mufflers and silencers
Destructive devices

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not illegal in Oklahoma.

Doesn't matter what OK says - feds say muzzle loaders are firearms.

That said: Lookup how OK defines a firearm. Almost identical to how the feds define one. Felon cannot own one here either unless OK has an exemption for black powder or muzzle loading guns I am not aware of (I've looked, can't find an exemption but that doesn't mean there isn't one buried in the law somewhere).

DD10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what OK says - feds say muzzle loaders are firearms.

That said: Lookup how OK defines a firearm. Almost identical to how the feds define one. Felon cannot own one here either unless OK has an exemption for black powder or muzzle loading guns I am not aware of (I've looked, can't find an exemption but that doesn't mean there isn't one buried in the law somewhere).

Good luck in that ever being prosecuted. Prosecutors wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pool.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not illegal in Oklahoma.

Says who?

As a 13 year employee of OK DOC, I have answered this question for offenders probably 100 times. No shotguns, no muzzleloaders. They both use an explosive to propel a projectile or projectiles. Where did I get MY info? Probation and Parole officers and my local District Attorney.

Latest posts

Top Bottom