30 Major U.S. Corporations Paid More to Lobby Congress Than Income Taxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/264481/20111209/30-major-u-s-corporations-paid-lobby.htm

By employing a plethora of tax-dodging techniques, 30 multi-million dollar American corporations expended more money lobbying Congress than they paid in federal income taxes between 2008 and 2010, ultimately spending approximately $400,000 every day -- including weekends -- during that three-year period to lobby lawmakers and influence political elections, according to a new report from the non-partisan Public Campaign.

Lots more of the article if you click the link.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was expecting to see Chesapeake on there.

Chesapeake had an effective tax rate of negative two something last TY. (That may have been limited to Oklahoma)

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The injustice of the income tax code is obvious. Time to replace it with the Fair Tax!

The FairTax plan is a comprehensive proposal that replaces all federal income and payroll based taxes with an integrated approach including a progressive national retail sales tax, a prebate to ensure no American pays federal taxes on spending up to the poverty level, dollar-for-dollar federal revenue neutrality, and, through companion legislation, the repeal of the 16th Amendment.
http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_main

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can we get a list of 30 major U.S. corporations that paid more in salaries, benefits and produced more goods and services for the economy than they spent on lobbying congress?

Oh wait, that would probably be all of them. And all of those salaries, benefits and goods and services are taxed already, outside of the ridiculous corporate tax. The solution is less taxes and less spending, not "oh look at that guy over there, tax him instead of me!".

Back to your regularly scheduled class warefare thread.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SMS, I didn't read it as class warfare and taxation, I read it as the corrupting influence of lobbying--that is, they spend tons on lobbying for the purpose of getting favorable tax treatment. Read in that context, it seems a lot more offensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom