Black Lab, hip problems, What to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a black lab who is around 11 years old. She is slowing down and showing her age. I've notice she (like me) is having a harder time getting up. It just looks like she is hurting from her hips from arthritis or something.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what works to ease the pain. I don't want any "as seen on tv" pills, just something someone else has used and really believes works. I have bad knees and tried the glucosamine/chondroiton (sp?) thing for over a year and didn't feel it did anything for me.

Please let me know, Roxy will thank you later.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Labs and most all large breeds are prone to Hip Dysplasia as they get older. Is your dog overweight by chance, that can excelerate the problem. Meds may be the only way to relieve the pain unless you are willing to do surgery on both hips which is costly from what I saw before.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dogs have had troubles like that too. Last few years the drug industry has targeted the vet industry with some pain and arthritis drugs that help manage the symptoms. Have a vet check the dog out and see what he says.

Back in the day... we would grind up a plain old asprin and feed it to a stiff old dog... It seemed to help.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they can take ibuprofen, too.

My parents have a lab who isn't that old, maybe 6 or so, but she's all bound up like she's 15... apparently she survived parvo and the vet said it would make her old before her time due to the stress on the body. She's also VERY overweight... prolly close to 100 lbs by now.

I don't know if any vets do steroid shots in the hips, but that's an idea.... every few months, maybe. We do it to people, seems reasonable someone would do it to dogs, too. Matter of fact, if my vet would show me where to do it, I'd do it to my parents' dog... she hurts.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel for you - I had a black Lab with severe joint pain, and his large-boned physique didn't help. I did put him on a diet, and he went from 120 to 105 lbs, which helped a bit. Glucosamine/chondroitin helped too, so it probably varies from dog to dog. He was also on Rimadyl which made quite a bit of difference for a while, so be sure to bring that up with your vet.

Unfortunately, it'll probably just get worse :( Best of luck with your dog, and give him lots of love and an orthopedic dog bed!

6shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cosamine seems to help our old dog (16). Weight seems to be a factor, is you dog over weight? Does not cure it but every little bit will help.
Good luck

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When our last dog suffered from hip pain at that age the vet said she needed to lose weight and give her a baby aspirin once a day. It helped her pain a lot.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a red healer with hip issues, he used to be really slow to get up and you can tell they dont feel well. We started giving him the joint pills you can get at walmart along with a vitamin. It really helped him.

mblaney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 10 year old Lab/Great Pyrenees mix has arthritis in both front legs.

He is currently taking 400mg of Etodolac (NSAID) per day along with Joint Max supplement (Contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Zinc, and Vitamin C).
He has responded well to both. Before starting the meds he was almost completely immobile. Now he is much more active, even running
for short distances.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just went through this with our black lab, who we had for 15 years. It is a painful thing to watch. Our girl could hardly get up if she fell, which was often. If she fell on a slick floor like in the kitchen, she couldn't get up at all without our help. It will only get worse with time, so prepare yourself for when the time comes to end the misery.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom