Freud on guns (weapons)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whilst perusing the net I found a quote attribuated to Sigmond Freud, but as we all know just cuz it's on the internet don't make it so. So I was wondering if anyone knew anything of this quote attribuated to Freud

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Now to me that is just common sense but that don't mean it came from Frued. Anyone know anything to prove or disprove this ????

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Freud never said it. Some other dude interpreted some of Freud's theories on dream symbolism to support the "guns are a phallic substitute stuff" and then some other dude disputed that and said Freud's interpretation of dream symbolism said any one of numerous items could represent a phallus in dreams, and that dude A cherry picked his Freud passages and had a confirmation bias, and that some of Freud's stuff could be taken to mean the opposite - that a fear of guns is a sign of retarded this and that.

Someone took that line and put S. Freud on the end of it and emailed it to someone and here we are godknowshowmanyyears later.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Freud never said it. Some other dude interpreted some of Freud's theories on dream symbolism to support the "guns are a phallic substitute stuff" and then some other dude disputed that and said Freud's interpretation of dream symbolism said any one of numerous items could represent a phallus in dreams, and that dude A cherry picked his Freud passages and had a confirmation bias, and that some of Freud's stuff could be taken to mean the opposite - that a fear of guns is a sign of retarded this and that.

Someone took that line and put S. Freud on the end of it and emailed it to someone and here we are godknowshowmanyyears later.

This pretty much sums it up. I did some research on this quote at a, GASP, library, and he never said it. HOWEVER, I do sometimes still use the "quote" to get my point across, particularly to a few women who fear both guns and schlongs.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I myself am guilty of doing this, but my quote attributions never seem to hit the old people email chains for some reason.

People are slovenly, product sponge, oxygen wasting, unenlightened, narrow-minded, self-centered sweathogs that contribute nothing to society and I pretty much hate the lot of 'em. - Mohandas Ghandi

Latest posts

Top Bottom