What model of revolver is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got myself a Rossi .22LR revolver, it shoots good but it's ugly so I'm going to try to clean it up. One of the biggest things is that I need to replace the sights on it and shopping for them is difficult without knowing what model it is. I used Rossi's S/N search and it turned up no match. It had a set of plastic target grips on it when I bought it but I can't say for sure whether or not they're original to the gun. The left side of the barrel reads AMADEO ROSSI & CIA SAO LEOPOLDO R.S., the right just says .22 L.R. Swing the cylinder open and the number reads 3040, I've read that this is where the model number is stamped but I can also find NOTHING on the interwebz about a Rossi Model 3040 revolver. The number 3040 is also stamped on the handle under the grips so it seems that number ought to mean something. There is also an uppercase letter I in a circle under the grip. Here are a couple pics in case that'll help. Any info would be appreciated.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 1983 copyright Gun Digest Exploded Firearms Drawings paperback shows a generic Rossi resembling yours. No luck on a model number for the .22's. The grips that it shows appear to be plastic, oversize, with maybe even a thumb rest. The grips did have "Rossi" on them. Apparently the same sight was used on several Rossi's of the era.

My 2 cents is don't sink much bucks into this particular gun. Rossi's never did have a quality reputation.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The grips you described are what were on it when I bought it, thumb-rest, Rossi logo, plastic. I don't plan on putting a ton of cash into it but good .22 wheel guns are expensive & I just want a plinkster for the range & leisure shooting, so this will do if I can get some sights on it. Good to know about Rossi's use of the same sights on multiple revolvers once I know what I'm looking for that may make it easier find. I appreciate you checking it out.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
whats wrong with your sights?
as far as aftermarkets go forget it.
with work you can adapt S&W k frame rear sight to it.
just have to have somebody that knows what they are doing.
if you just need a new rear blade or screw that might not be too hard to find.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone has taken the blade out of the front sight, so it's just a roughed up groove. The rear sight is missing the v notched tab that travels left & right when you turn the adjustment screw. It can still be adjusted up & down but there's no dovetail to line up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom