not a felon..but have a felony arrest..can i?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

albert

can i still own, buy firearms?
I was in a bad deal with some friends 6 or so years ago.. there were drugs in the car and we all got arrested for it.. I took the plea and got a deferred sentence and community service.
completed and satisfied.. I am not a felon and I do not have a felony record.. BUT it does show I have a felony arrest..

I have a voters card no problem.. I think im good to go but wanted to check here for some insight before I go to the range and embarass myself by getting denied.

thanks!

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need to check into it. I think it is different for different people. I work with a felon, that can not own a gun, but he just got an ok to buy a shotgun for home protection. Not sure how it works.

A

albert

I called a few years back, I want to say i called the state.. but i barely remember the conversation. But the lady at the time said no worries. I was ok.. but now that i am wanting to get into shooting again, I want to recheck this out. I am not trusting the lady I called back then simply because im not sure who it was haha!
thanks!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A deferred sentence is still a conviction for this purpose. So long as it's not a disqualifying offense you should be ok. You need to know exactly what the deferred sentence was for and check that. A deferred sentence may not show up on OSCN, but it will show up on a CHRC (criminal history records check).

We have this all the time at the airport. A worker applies for a security badge and doesn't disclose a deferred sentence because it doesn't show up on open records. But the CHRC reveals it and they're denied a badge. Some disqualifying offenses have a 10 year expiration, so even if you can't get an SDA permit now, you might in 4 years. As has been recommended, get an attorney.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it was possession of cds, so it will affect my firearms purchasing, but it doesnt affect my voters registration?

The arrest record is irrelevant. The conviction record is what counts. Possession of cds could be a felony or a misdemeanor, depending on the circumstances. You have to know EXACTLY what the conviction is for, then you can check whether it's a disqualifying offense and for how long if applicable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom