Hornady Critical Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I went to H&H today for the first time in a while and decided to shoot my 155 gr. gold dots I've been carrying for the last 8 months while I was target shooting. Problem is, they didn't have the 155's only the 180's when I went to try and buy replacements. I went ahead and got a couple boxes of the critical defense after hearing really good things about them from a lot of friends who carry with them loaded. It kind of seems like a cool idea with having that insert in the tip. Anybody have experience shooting them as far as any failures? Positive aspects and negatives would be appreciated too. Thanks

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is the exact experience I had with the ammo in my SP101...I'll never buy their ammo again.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow spd, that seems like a major problem. I hope that was just a fluke deal. I haven't gotten to shoot any through my gun yet, I'm just ticked they didn't have my speer 155.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should have stuck with the speer Gold dots regardless of weight.

I have never seen anything good as far as terminal performance from the hornady's.

There is a list of good SD rounds in a sticky at the top of this forum.
Pick a round from the list, buy as much as you can (over 200 rounds bare minimum before you carry them) then concentrate on training and mindset.
http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?91784-Dr.-Gary-Roberts-Recommended-Ammo-List

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should have stuck with the speer Gold dots regardless of weight.

I have never seen anything good as far as terminal performance from the hornady's.

Are you serious? They market the critical defense rounds on the "perfect" expansion everytime no matter what the round is penetrating. As for the problems mentioned above, anyone notice they were all in a .357 revolver and the 2 that listed the exact ammo, was both 125 gr, I've never heard a bad thing about hornady's critical defense until now, and its isolated to one weight and caliber, i'm taking that with a grain of salt...

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard tons of good things about them until he showed that video. But i think in reality everyone screws up (there have been defective glocks and m&p's). I definately understand his point in never using them again, however.

I also would have gone with the 180 gr. gold dots, but I thought I remember reading somewhere where they made two different 180 gr. rounds, and 1 didn't perform as well. I could definately be wrong on that point, but I just wanted to play it safe.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you serious? They market the critical defense rounds on the "perfect" expansion everytime no matter what the round is penetrating. As for the problems mentioned above, anyone notice they were all in a .357 revolver and the 2 that listed the exact ammo, was both 125 gr, I've never heard a bad thing about hornady's critical defense until now, and its isolated to one weight and caliber, i'm taking that with a grain of salt...
Yes I am serious. Glock pistols are marketed as " Perfection" as well and they still have issues! Critical defense rounds have been known to have issues with intermediate barriers. Why would I select a round that has trouble with barriers when there are more suitable options available?

Latest posts

Top Bottom