Thinking about buying my first AK47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RezRunner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never owned one, but think I would like to add one to the arsenal. l have heard the old AK's you could dump in the mud and it would still shoot. One question I have is are the new ones the same way?? Also I know they come in different cal's, at least the new ones. Can the older ones be modded? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you mean, when you say "old vs new"? Which company are you looking at, and in which caliber? Also, how much do you plan on spending? This will help get you pointed in the right direction.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never owned one, but think I would like to add one to the arsenal. l have heard the old AK's you could dump in the mud and it would still shoot. One question I have is are the new ones the same way?? Also I know they come in different cal's, at least the new ones. Can the older ones be modded? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have never owned one, but think I would like to add one to the arsenal. l have heard the old AK's you could dump in the mud and it would still shoot.

Q1 One question I have is are the new ones the same way?? A1 Yes

Q2 Also I know they come in different cal's, at least the new ones. A2 7.62x39 5.45x39 5.56x45

Q3 Can the older ones be modded? A3 ? To be as reliable as the older ones? Many differnt oppinions out there but most all Aks are built with very loose tolerances so they are naturaly very reliable.

Q4 l have heard the old AK's you could dump in the mud and it would still shoot. A4 I havent done nor do I recomend it but long as the barrel isnt full of mud I dont see why it wouldnt.

Ive played with many different types and can not think of one time that any of them havent worked. I can say I have put thousands and thousands and thousands down range and cant think of one time that any AKs that Ive encountered have failed to work. They are as reliable as death and taxes. Not the most accurate of rifles but accurate enough.

Main differance in AKs is PRICE, and that is subjective due to demand not reliablility but more to collectability.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much any of the commercially made ones will fire. Even the Century imported/made WASR's will fire reliably, although a few have things like canted sights and severe magazine wobble. I would personally stay away from any spare-part "kit" builds unless they were assembled by a reputable builder.

I personally went with the Saiga route. Bought the sporterized version and restored it using various youtube and online resources.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asking about different models and makes of AKs opens a can of worms you'll never get closed.

Decide how much you're willing to spend, and decide a few basic features you want, THEN re-ask the same question. Higher quality AKs will be more expensive, typically, and the features you want (polymer vs wood furniture, type of sights, muzzle devices, safety/handling features, caliber, price of magazines/ammo, do you want rails? etc.) will help determine what type is best for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom