Springfield armory m1a scout squad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cc1394

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought this and haven't fired it yet. Just curious on ammo opinions commercial 308 or 762 NATO. There are alot of different opinions online. What's safe and what isn't. Also how often to clean and exactly what to clean. Thanks for all opinions and replies

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can use either commercial or military ammo, but don't use any commercial loads over 180 grains unless you get an adjustable gas plug and dial the gas back a little.

Congrats on the purchase... they are great rifles.

The best knowledge bank on these rifles is www.m14tfl.com -- you should check it out.

C

COBrien

I've been drooling over the Scout Squad for awhile now -- I'll be interested to hear what your impressions are.

As far as cleaning...why not clean the rifle after every range/hunting trip, regardless of round count?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That cleaning round count is a bunch of horse hockey... you can run them dirty for a lot longer than 500 rounds before seeing any decreased reliability, according to my experience and that of many others.

Of course there is nothing wrong with cleaning them more often... though it is nice to know that you don't have to!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a new one of these recently, I haven't taken it out yet.
Waiting on a different scope/mount configuration than the one that came with it.
And a ammo order to arrive.

Then there's the time issue........
I'm already planning my accuracy improvements for it.
But for those I'll have to wait until after tax season is over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom