Russian 7.62x39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is, or is there, a more reliable imported 7.62x39 ammo? I want to avoid corrosive, so I've been looking at the different Ulys, Tulammos, Bears, Wolfs, etc. Took my brand new Vz58 out Saturday to just give it a test firing, and about maybe 8-10 rounds into the first mag I had a hangfire with some just-purchased Tulammo (actually my 10 year old was shooting it when it "click-banged"). I've considered buying a spam can or two of the Uly ammo from SG, but I've read online where some people have experienced hangfires with it too, and duds, squibs, and hangfires with just about every brand of Russian import. Is that kind of thing just inherent with Russian quality control? Any opinions on which flavor is better, as far as these failures go, or are they all pretty much a crap shoot?

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Yugo M67. Brass case. Primers are mildly corrosive, so keep that in mind. But it very high quality for surplus. About 2500 rounds of the Yugo M67 through my AMD-65, not one failure, which is really quite remarkable for surplus ammo.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the Yugo stuff, but I want to avoid the corrosive thing altogether. In a bolt gun or something no big deal, but I think it would be hell making sure you get all of the salts out of a semiauto. For a few cents more per round, I'd rather risk a hang fire or dud than messing up a rifle. I'm chicken. I've considered buying some just to put back in case of future need. But for farting around shooting cans, I'd like to keep it non-corrosive.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot THOUSANDS of Yugo X39 thru my AK's, and SKS. Dont let the fact that it is corrossive scare you off. It is soooooo easy to clean. I take my AKs in the bathtub and run about 6 funnels worth of hot water down the barrel and about the same down the gas tube. It probably does not make any difference, but then I spay some WD40 down the barrel and the gas tube. I then clean normally as I would any other gun. It takes all of 5 minutes to "water" the gun before cleaning normally. I have never had any issues with rust. I used to take windex in a bottle with me to the range and spray it down the barrel after I shot. Ive never had rust even without doint that...so why bother. FWIW, I find wolf/tula ammo MUCH dirtier (though not corrossive!). I spend longer cleaning after shooting that than I do shooting the Yugo stuff.

The yugo X39 has been, BY FAR, the most consistent rounds out of my rifles. Not only is is very accurate and consistent, but I have NEVER had a misfire with one and Ive gone thru at least 6 cases. That is over 7K rounds.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard good things about the Yugo stuff, but I want to avoid the corrosive thing altogether. In a bolt gun or something no big deal, but I think it would be hell making sure you get all of the salts out of a semiauto. For a few cents more per round, I'd rather risk a hang fire or dud than messing up a rifle. I'm chicken. I've considered buying some just to put back in case of future need. But for farting around shooting cans, I'd like to keep it non-corrosive.
just disassemble and put in dishwasher. oil when done. LOL

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been doing fine - hanging in, anyway.

I've considered buying some of the KSAP stuff from Widener's; haven't really heard anything bad about it, but there's very little info in the form of range reports, either. AIM is sold out of it, so that may be a good sign. They're out of Yugo and Wolf Military HPs, too. I'll keep researching in the meantime.

I see ammoman has Ukrainian ammo imported by Wolf. Wonder if that's any better than some of the Russian stuff?

Latest posts

Top Bottom