Russian 7.62x39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopes #9 is corrosive neturalizing.
Just clean it once in a while.

The corrosive part of the bullet is the salt that is used in the primer, not much there and it takes a while and some moisture to begin being corrosive.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better yet use Ballistol to was out the wash out your gun and neutralize any corrosive salts. It's as simple as this to clean your AK after firing corrosive ammo. Takes about 5 minutes tops when I clean mine. It's so quick and easy.

Field strip your rifle. Mix 8-10 parts water to 1 part Ballistol in a spray bottle. Spray every thing down with the water and Ballistol. Take garden hose and spray/rinse everything with a jet nozzle. Count everything again with the Ballistol mixture. This time let sit for few minutes. Then a quick scrub down with you brush of choice (I just use a tire/rim brush, and a touthbrush for the knooks and crannies). Rinse again with the garden hose. Quickly dry rifle and parts off with a air compressor. A quick run down the bore and the gas block and tube with a boresnake, and wipe down with you lube of choice. I use straight Ballistol for them. Reassemble and you are done.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the problem with the Tulammo is the hardness of the primer cup. Once in a while it takes a couple whacks. Don't mind that for general practice but I switch to Wolf (or better) when it matters. I use my mini-30 to hunt with some and I never carry the Tulammo for that. Watching on line can get some pretty good deals on Wolf.

My Mosin never fails to really hammer (no pun intended) the Tulammo 7.62x54R....goes off every time.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd rather risk a hang fire or dud than messing up a rifle.

Corrosive primers have certainly grown up to become 12 foot tall monsters hell-bent on destroying your rifle in the internet age.

For decades that was the only type of primer that any smokeless cartridge had -- and strangely I have numerous WWII and pre-WWII firearms that all shot plenty of corrosive ammunition (including gas system semiautos like Garands) that weren't destroyed from all that corrosive ammo. It's not that big of a deal. Seriously.

Your rifle won't melt...even if it starts to grow a bit surface rust because everything didn't get perfectly clean, it's not that big of a deal. Firearms aren't made of rice paper -- they're extremely robust tools and can stand LOTS more than we as users generally dish out. If you have even the most basic cleaning regimen, you're not going to do any type of damage to it whatsoever.

Again, not sure why people in the last 10-15 years have grown to so seriously fear corrosive ammo, but such fear is not warranted. I

That being said...feel free to pass on the great Yugo M67 ammo if you are that dead set on avoiding corrosive, and leave it for the rest for us who want inexpensive quality 7.62x39 and aren't scared of shooting corrosive ammo! Spend more and get peace of mind if that's what makes you happy.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot 1000 or so rounds of the Monarch/Barnul ammo that Academy sells. Ive never had a problem. It's $5 a box, laquered, and sealed at the primer and bullet crimp. I have had problems with Ully and tula and they arent laquered or sealed.. If you look at the production dates on the ully and tula you'll see that most of it was made 2-4 years ago! Maybe sitting around that long in a non climate controlled storage area and not being sealed causes the duds?? :anyone:

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
most of it was made 2-4 years ago! Maybe sitting around that long in a non climate controlled storage area and not being sealed causes the duds?? :anyone:

Just like firearms, ammo isn't as fragile as some think it is. You would have to get some really extreme temperatures -- well outside of the temps that are going to be seen in normal storage -- to cause primers to not go or powder to go inert.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like firearms, ammo isn't as fragile as some think it is. You would have to get some really extreme temperatures -- well outside of the temps that are going to be seen in normal storage -- to cause primers to not go or powder to go inert.
most american made ammo on store shelves is anywhere from 2-25 years old. extremely popular types may not be so old but, slow movers can be several years old before they even get to the dealers shelf. thats why manufacturers don't change box designs very often.

As to the russian ammo. the old surplus stuff was good cause they made it for their comrades to defend the homeland and took pride in quality control. now its crank it out as cheap and fast as possible to make a buck.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
now its crank it out as cheap and fast as possible to make a buck.

Much like Remington and Winchester, which cost three times as much. The Ruskies are finally figuring out capitalism.

Ammo can last a long, long time in lousy conditions. Look at all the mil-surp from the 40s and 50s people are still shooting to this day, all likely stored for decades in warehouses with no heat or A/C.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tula has been known to have hard primers. I have more trouble with it in my non-commie hand guns than my non-commie rifles. My Mosin will shoot anything. It's like the honeybadger, it dont care. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom