Tula .45 Acp Steel case=crap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the price was just too inviting at the local wally world, this stuff is pure crap. I decided to try it at the local match last Saturday and every cylinder had AT LEAST one FTF, most of the time 2. Maybe ok for plinking ammo, but nothing more than that. Guess I learned the hard way, hoping that a good deal on price might pay off. Buyer beware.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used it in my XDM's and it continually jammed my magazines and I had FTF's, FTE's, etc.... It worked well on my AK but then again AK's eat anything.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a note. The Tula or what ever ammo is made with hard primers, not like the soft ones used on most American ammo. There is a possability that the reason the ammo isnt going off is because your hammer isnt hitting it hard enough. Just a thought.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a note. The Tula or what ever ammo is made with hard primers, not like the soft ones used on most American ammo. There is a possability that the reason the ammo isnt going off is because your hammer isnt hitting it hard enough. Just a thought.

Could be the case, but as far as I know Smith & Wesson springs aren't underpowered from the factory. Maybe they are not intended for Com Bloc ammo. Oh well, live and learn.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1911-style pistols, with steel firing pins and full factory-weight hammer springs, will fire most any ammo (from any source) that is going to fire. S&W revolvers, with the stock mainspring, will fire most any American-made factory ammo. That's the difference.

If S&W built their revolvers to dependably fire the ultra-hard primed foreign stuff, the action would be so "hard" that their complaint line would overheat and burn down.

Those of us who reload for revolvers tuned for match shooting will almost invariably run Federal primers. They are on the soft side. We'll also hard seat them, so they are .002 to .005 below flush. I know some who will hand seat them to the point that the anvil top is visible; that's too much extra effort for me.

Traveler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. I bought a box of .45 and .380 steel Tula ammo. One jammed so hard in my Kel-Tec .380 that I had to disassemble the entire gun to get it dislodged. I have one or two rounds per mag that jams in my Hi-Point .45. I won't put any more through my Kel-tec, but I will probably continue to plink with them in my Hi-Point. Just for economy sake. But I sure won't depend on them for home defense!

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks for you guys. I opened another case of 500 last weekend, I have shot close to 2500 rounds of this stuff this past year and can't remember a single failure from my Springfield XD, 1911 or my Glock. Maybe the rounds for cheaperthandirt.com are made different. :scratch:

Latest posts

Top Bottom