Help! Cleaning an old Colt 1908 vest/pocket pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRLail

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi I love the old pocket pistols. Yesterday I purchased a Colt model 1908 .25 acp, from a pawn shop...yeah I know...but I did. Anyway, it is just filthy, I sprayed solvents, drenched in cleaning oils, it did loosened up, but to to dis-assemble it, you have to hold the slide back and turn the barrel 1/4 turn clockwise. It turns just a fraction, maybe an 1/8 turn. I need a good method of "Vatting" this rough little jewel, any suggestions? I'm considering getting a carburetor cleaning bucket with the basket, taking off the grips and just let it soak overnight.

Any comments or thoughts

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your Idea sonds like the perfect solution. But mabey a smaller type plastic bowl so it is totaly submerged. That will get in every last cranny

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy of mine inherited one of those from his grandfather. Great guns, built like a tank. I've not had to clean one though but it sounds like your idea would work. Even mineral spirits would loosen up the crud. I do that with cosmoline-caked milsurps.

TRLail

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I bought a 2-1/2 gal parts washer at Steves wholesale. It has a pump and flex hose, then I bought 2-1/2 gal of degreaser at WallyWorld. I have to make a trip out of town, but when I get back I'm gonna fire that up, circulate the degreaser on the pistol for a day and see what I get. I'll post the results!

Thanks again

Latest posts

Top Bottom