.22Mag comparison test.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today I went out and tried three different .22Mag loads through my NAA with 1 5/8 inch barrel. I used Winchester 30 grain high velocity, Federal 50 grain Game Shocks, and Hornady Critical Defense 45 grain bullets. I shot into gallon jugs of water. All three loads penetrated two full jugs and the bullets were recovered in the third. Not much difference there. Here's a photo of recovered bullets:

[Broken External Image]

You can see only the Hornady bullet expanded in water. I loaded one of each in my NAA and made a video of each one firing. You really can't tell any difference in report or recoil from the video so I'm not taking the trouble to put it on youtube. However, subjectively the Hornady sounded and felt like it was a hotter round than the other two. Maybe some day I'll get another Chrony and find out for sure.

I know one bullet in water does not make a thorough and complete test, but from now on I'll have Hornady CD in my NAA. I also know that a .22 Mag is NOT a good choice for a self defense weapon. But I'd sure hate to be on the receiving end of any of these and especially the Hornady.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect the lack of expansion of the rounds is because the .22 mag is designed for longer barrels. If ran through a chronograph, I'll bet they are running as slow as a .22lr from a rifle.
I have a chronograph, and a Davis Derringer in .22 mag. I'll run a little test tomorrow and see if my theory holds true.

N

Neist

.22 mags are better than what people give them credit for, though the ballistics lead to believe they really need to be shot out of something with a longer barrel, as dennishoddy stated.

Thanks for posting this! I'm always a fan of numbers.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Up till now the .22Mag has never been much more effective out of a short barrel than a long rifle. The new Hornady load is designed for short barrels. It will produce over 1000fps through a 2 inch barrel. Winchester is supposed to release a PDX version that will push a 45 grain bullet to 1200fps with a 2 inch barrel. It should be available in March. I'm waiting patiently.

Thanks to FALguy at H&H for getting the Hornady load on the shelf for me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As promised, I shot three rounds through the chrony, with the best being 1043fps.
Ammo is Winchester JHP X22MH.
Shot into an empty steel drum. Penetrated one side but did not exit the other side. Just dented it.
Until somebody comes out with .22mag ammo designed for short barrels, I'd be leery of using it for SD.
I can't get the pic to load from the iPhone but will have it up shortly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the pic.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_fb9653e7.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the federal .50 grain had zero expansion. So the FMJ and that round would be no different.
The rounds I shot into the steel drum were fully expanded, but that is because of the media.

Latest posts

Top Bottom