Who's Thinking of Starting the Garden Early This Year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing as how we appear to have compressed winter into a single day this year, I'm giving serious thought to starting my garden in a few weeks. Get some tomatoes and peppers started under lights next weekend, till in some manure and compost next week, maybe start some carrots, spinach, and lettuce in mid-March. Anybody else thinking about an early start?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am putting in a 4'x4' raised planter next weekend. It is just for tomatoes. I can't stand any of the tomatoes from Wally World or Homieland.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a cheapo greenhouse. Last year we did nothing, but the year before we had more tomatoes and peppers than we knew what to do with.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done the raised garden thing, the planters, even the upside down in a pot thing and all I ever get is tomato sticks; no tomatos for me. I am giving up the garden thing.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WE start the garden every year in mid march with 36 plantings of Brocolli. IT does well untill May when it starts to get hot. Tomatoes wont do anything untill soil temps rise so before end of april, your probably wasting your time. Monitor the soil tenps 6" down and research to see what temps. different plants need.
I too am afraid of another hot dry summer but I'll still try for some early vegies. I know a few guys who have had their garden producing all winter with different cool weather plants.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We start the garden every year in mid march with 36 plantings of Brocolli. IT does well until May when it starts to get hot. Tomatoes wont do anything untill soil temps rise so before end of April, your probably wasting your time. Monitor the soil tenps 6" down and research to see what temps. different plants need.
I too am afraid of another hot dry summer but I'll still try for some early vegies. I know a few guys who have had their garden producing all winter with different cool weather plants.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have 5 raised beds. Most are four feet wide and six feet long. But my herb bed is only three feet wide and 15 feet long. Herbs grow all year in Oklahoma. So do most of the forms of lettuce. But you don't plant potatoes until St. Patricks day and corn is never planted until the oak has a mouse ear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom