2012 Proposed Changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Senate Bill 1094 by Sen. Anderson. Allows landowners with a valid hunting license to take an unlimited number of female deer during any time of year. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2012, and bill is now assigned to the Senate Tourism and Wildlife Committee.

Seriously? That seems kinda... drastic?

Senate Bill 1751 by Brecheen. Allowing feral hogs to be released onto private land for the express intent of utilizing the Judas pig tagging system or into a controlled area as long as it is part of a Judas pig tagging system. The Judas pig tagging system is a population control technique where a radio collared feral swine is released into a control area and, after sufficient time is allowed to join other feral swine, it is tracked down and all swine associated with the collared swine are removed. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2012. Committee assignment not yet posted.

Nothing short of awesome, especially the term "Judas pig tagging".

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I are several proposals on there that I like. I agree, the doe thing is extreme, would that lead to possible year round hunting pressure?

I also could foresee problems with this one....
House Bill 2507 by Rep. Russ. Allowing nonwildlife activities that are otherwise permitted outside of hunting seasons to be permitted during hunting seasons, providing the individuals comply with blaze orange requirements and possess a Wildlife Conservation Passport. Such activities would include but not be limited to picnicking, hiking, backpacking and horseback riding. Bill would be effective immediately upon passage, and bill is now assigned to the House Agriculture, Wildlife and Environment Committee

Is this one a random proposal or is there cooperation between the bill writer and the wildlife dept?
House Bill 3001 by Rep. Newell. Providing for a 23-day deer gun season starting the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2012, and bill is now assigned to the House Agriculture, Wildlife and Environment Committee.

Too bad there would be too much liability associated with attaching large explosive packs on those tagged hogs!:)

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm definitely opposed to:

Senate Bill 1270 by Sen. Wyrick. Unless forbidden to do so either orally or in writing by a landowner, persons in the sole act of retrieving their hunting dogs shall not be charged with hunting without permission or illegal trespass provided they are not carrying a firearm or attempting to take wildlife. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2012, and bill is now assigned to the Senate Agriculture and Rural Development Committee.

and

House Bill 2356 by Rep. Kouplen. Specifying that persons in the sole process of retrieving their domestic livestock or other animals may enter land of another unless forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner or lawful occupier thereof, if they notify the county sheriff prior to entry. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2012, and bill is now assigned to the House Agriculture, Wildlife and Environment Committee.

These bills would make it more difficult to prosecute trespassers. I can see it now, "I wasn't trespassing, I was looking for my dog"!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the first one, and I would somewhat agree. But if you have ever tried to prosecute a trespasser, it is actually quite difficult to begin with. A regulation, new or old, is not going to stop a trespasser. The first quote seems to open a hole that would leave them an excuse.

House Bill 2356 by Rep. Kouplen. Specifying that persons in the sole process of retrieving their domestic livestock or other animals may enter land of another unless forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner or lawful occupier thereof, if they notify the county sheriff prior to entry. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2012, and bill is now assigned to the House Agriculture, Wildlife and Environment Committee.

The second one states that they have to notify the co sheriff prior to entry. I have no problem with that. I highly doubt a trespasser is going to notify the sheriff before entry, therefore if he does not, he is still considered trespassing. I've had to recover livestock before and either not know the land owner, or couldn't get a hold of them and went ahead and "trespassed" to get the cattle back. I can't see any land owner in their right mind that would have any problem with that. I certainly would not mind someone getting their livestock off of me without permission, as long as they aren't in there cutting fences. That's just the way it works sometimes.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the first one, and I would somewhat agree. But if you have ever tried to prosecute a trespasser, it is actually quite difficult to begin with. A regulation, new or old, is not going to stop a trespasser. The first quote seems to open a hole that would leave them an excuse.

The second one states that they have to notify the co sheriff prior to entry. I have no problem with that. I highly doubt a trespasser is going to notify the sheriff before entry, therefore if he does not, he is still considered trespassing. I've had to recover livestock before and either not know the land owner, or couldn't get a hold of them and went ahead and "trespassed" to get the cattle back. I can't see any land owner in their right mind that would have any problem with that. I certainly would not mind someone getting their livestock off of me without permission, as long as they aren't in there cutting fences. That's just the way it works sometimes.

I understand the livestock issue, unfortunately, there are those folks who won't keep their animals contained (note, the HB says livestock or other animals).

What happens if they get hurt while chasing animals on your property and sue you??

How about the guy who doesn't take care of his fences and constantly has livestock loose, do you want him on your property chasing cattle every day??

I sure don't!!

Don't know about you, but I have found out the hard way that not all neighbors are good neighbors!!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the livestock issue, unfortunately, there are those folks who won't keep their animals contained (note, the HB says livestock or other animals).

What happens if they get hurt while chasing animals on your property and sue you??

How about the guy who doesn't take care of his fences and constantly has livestock loose, do you want him on your property chasing cattle every day??

I sure don't!!

Don't know about you, but I have found out the hard way that not all neighbors are good neighbors!!

If they get hurt on your property, I doubt there is much of a chance that they will have much of a fight. #1, you didn't give them permission to be on your land, the Co. Sheriff did. I'm sure there are ambulance chasing lawyers out there that would fight it. I'd be willing to give them both a swift kick in the nuts just for being idiots.

The guy that doesn't take care of his fences... well, that fence belongs to both landowners, so if it borders you, it is your responsibility as well, at half the cost. Refer to Oklahoma Statute Title 4 Chapter 5. http://www.ok.gov/~okag/forms/ogc/aal.pdf

I agree about not all neighbors being good neighbors. Sucks when you have a nice place and white trash living next to you with no respect for you or your property. Only thing you can do is make the laws work for you.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the sheriff give them permission, or are they just suppose to notify the sheriff???

Never underestimate the depravity of people when they see $$$ signs!! If they think, or a lawyer tells them, they can get some money, they will do almost anything to get it.

As far as the fence issue, I know all about that, spent about $3k last year for my half of a new fence, and I don't have ANY livestock!!

I also have a guy that leases land across the road from where I live and have had his cattle in my front yard!!

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Senate Bill 1094 by Sen. Anderson. Allows landowners with a valid hunting license to take an unlimited number of female deer during any time of year. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2012, and bill is now assigned to the Senate Tourism and Wildlife Committee

Would this apply to lease holders?

Latest posts

Top Bottom