Home Standby Generator - Kohler or Generac?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am considering buying a backup Generator for my home. I have narrowed down to Kohler20RESAL and Generac 5887 (Both in the 20KW size which will run on Natural Gas}. Any thoughts , or experience, with either brand?

Thanx for your input ........

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Kohler transfer switches that we have at work suck. They are always malfunctioning. I know that's not the generator itself, but you will need a transfer switch too.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that alot of folks in Florida have the Generacs. Hurricaine season give's them a work out.

One advantage for the Generac is that Home Depot sells and installs them. Which means they "stand behind" them.

Dave

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering buying a backup Generator for my home. I have narrowed down to Kohler20RESAL and Generac 5887 (Both in the 20KW size which will run on Natural Gas}. Any thoughts , or experience, with either brand?

Thanx for your input ........

If there is any way possible go dual fuel, LPG & Nat Gas.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have installed several Generacs. Only one that I know of has ever had a problem and they were quick to get a service person out to fix it. No experience with Kohlers though.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there is any way possible go dual fuel, LPG & Nat Gas.

Most of the smaller Generac 6KW and to about 16 KW (at least they did when I looked into them a year or two ago) were as easy to convert as flipping a switch on the carb. If that is still true I would guess that it could be plumbed with a bypass valve so you could tap in a LPG inlet as long as you could get it to meet code. If you could get away with that then it could be switched over in a few min.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that with generac, there is currently about a 1-2 month back order. I have sold several this year, and each has a delivery date of sometime in March. Purchases were made in January. But of the two, I would go generac. Are you looking at a air cooled or water cooled? Some models come with the transfer switch and breaker box, some do not.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last edited:

URSHARKB8

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
hi, the HVAC company i work for installs generacs. i dont know about them personally, but the guy who does said we pick them up same day or order from factory and get them with in a week. 20kw's are the 100a ones that do houses. as far as the installs, depends on our install crews, how many jobs they have lined up.
I'm not trying to promote my company or anything, but these have to be great generators for us to put them in the big wigs of Tulsa houses. also we don't sale low end units for any job.

as the dual fuel, he said the under 20k units have the option. some unhook a hose and hook it up to other spot. over 20kw, have o order parts and stuff.

We also travel ;)

I dont want to say to much about them since like I said, i don't know personally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom