Cosmoline suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little follow up on my other thread, anybody have suggestions for cleaning cosmoline off an SKS? I know with hand guns, you can just pop em in the oven, but that won't work for this.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
put it in a metal trash can with aluminum foil on the inside of it. Then put a hot lamp above the can some how.
dont know if it would work but it sounds like a good idea.

Bear88SS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Non-sulfuric brake clean eats the Cosmo and will not hurt the bluing on the action. For a long gun look at two to three cans and about five minutes time. Go easy on the stock with a rag (no direct spray) and you're good to go!

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wait until the hot part of summer and put it in the attic, disassembled, and wrapped in paper towels. Unless you're in a hurry. If that is the case, I understand your pain.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy off for the wood. Spray it down, let it set, wash it off, repeat as needed. Sand down the stock, the water will raise the grain, re finish with polyuerthane or lin seed oil or whatever your fancy.

Dishwasher or boil out the grease for the metal.

Black plastic trash bag on a very hot day will work, but it takes about a week or so.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just disassemble and soak all small parts in mineral spirits. As for the barreled receiver; I set it upright in a small bucket an apply mineral spirits with a sponge brush. I just use a small amount of ms and reapply what has drained down into the bucket. This seems to be a quicker process than using heat on the metal parts.

On the wood you will need to use a combination of heat and ms. I tend to shy away from using easy off oven cleaner as I have seen plenty of stocks turned green and ruined due to chemical damage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom