What are those itty bitty black flying bugs in my apartment???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is as good of a pic as I can get of the little buggers. These have fried themselves in the globe of my floor lamp.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like they might be sewer gnats. have you or anyone else in your building had some drain problems?

try some bleach in all of the drains.

That's was my guess. Be sure to bleach all drains.
(kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, utility sink, etc...)
... Once a day for a week straight.

We had them once. Them rascals are tough.
One bleaching will kill most of the adult generation, but they'll come back as the young one grow.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's was my guess. Be sure to bleach all drains.
(kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, utility sink, etc...)
... Once a day for a week straight.

We had them once. Them rascals are tough.
One bleaching will kill most of the adult generation, but they'll come back as the young one grow.

Thank you, I'll give that a try. I appreciate your response as well.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the same issues, with 3 kids under 10, it is damn near impossible to keep them away. The best solution is to take a pickle jar, pop some holes in it, they need to be big enough for the flies to get in. Make sure you make the holes from the outside to the inside. The jagged portion of the hole helps keep them form geting out. Then fill the jar 1/4 full with vinegar, the type doesn't matter, but the stinkier the better. You won't smell the vinegar, but they will and they LOVE it. within a couple of days, it will be full. Make several of these jars and place them where see the most flies. You problem will disappear within a week or so. I left one jar out 12 months, no flies.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had that issue about 2 years ago, kind of a process to get rid of them, but the drains are their breeding grounds. Like others have said bleach the drains to kill the eggs. Just make sure atleast the first time you put down enough bleach to get all around the pipe, and do use any water in that sink for a bit so the bleach sits there. We made a ton of fly traps too, used water bottles and cut the top off and turned it upside down back into the bottle and filled it with a drop of dish soap and half water have cider. They are attracted to the cider and fly in and can't fly out and will drown. Very simple but very effective.

http://www.persistenceunlimited.com/2008/04/diy-fly-trap-from-a-plastic-bottle/ There's a link to an example of the fly trap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom