Monolithic Uppers on AR's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some AR's, such as LMT and the Colt LE Models tout a single piece or monolithic upper. I checked out an LMT today and they do seem really sturdy, with no fragile or plastic parts, and they seem somewhat smaller/tighter. They also tout higher accuracy with a 1-piece upper. My question is: Is it worth the extra money, are they really sturdier/more rugged, and are they more accurate???

Also, DI or Piston?....lots more for the piston...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DI all the way. Despite being out for some time, piston AR's still make up a very small segment of total AR sales. If they were as good as the makers tout, they'd be dominating sales now. You can build a DI gun these days that will run 800-1,000 rounds without cleaning or lube, if you source the right parts. DI guns are definitely more accurate overall as well.

Same for the monoliths. Yes they're nice, but there's a reason they don't dominate and it isn't price. With a monolith, what you see is what you get. You're stuck with that configuration. Lots of guys will buy a Vltor MUR and spend another $200-350 on a railed forend from Daniel Defense, or a slick modular tube like the ones from Troy. If you change your mind later, just swap it for something else.

I think my next build will feature the new Troy Alpha rail with built in sight. It's one of the lightest aluminum forends available and Troy has one of the best BUIS sights available. Melding the two together makes a nice piece of kit!

[Broken External Image]

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you go monolithic, you're stuck with what you have. Also, you suffer the penalties of extra weight.

As for DI vs Piston, both have pros and cons. Piston has the biggest con of being way more expensive and adding a lot of weight. Cost being the major reason why they make up a smaller percentage of AR's sold.

bjl333

Marksman
Reaction score
I think a Mono is good for someone with the needs to mount something accurate, such as a laser or scope. Otherwise go with a good rail, they cost less in the long run. I personally am building a Mega Monolithic and I am going DI with it.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 9mm is that-a-way. I used a Midwest Industries SS-10. Looks like this:

gunsandbullets.files.wordpress.com_2010_07_ss_sa1.jpg_d5d7c24362fd6fad1ce1f3a7d8b4c41e.jpg

I guess that's not truly monolithic, but it makes for a constant rail.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom