AR trouble at the range......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my AR out yesterday and had a problem for the first time since I built it (about a year ago). I loaded a magazine and chambered a round...no issues.

I fired off two rounds and it failed to eject the second round. I manually ejected the round, inspected the magazine and gun, the proceeded to fire another round. It failed to eject as well.

Thinking it might be that certain magazine, I tried another that I had already pre-loaded. It has the same issue. I did notice that the casings that failed to eject had vertical markings at the tip of the brass like they were hanging.

I hadn't cleaned my gun from the last outing but I have done this before with no problems especially if I don't fire off a lot of rounds.

I am thinking it is the ammo.......any thoughts?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if a non=chrome lined barrel you may have a slight rust/carbon buildup, use a chamber brush and lube the gun and give it another try,.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever swabbed out your gas tube thoroughly? Long pipe cleaners could work but you may have to pull your tube/block and take a look.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the bolt is cycling, I would look at the extractor. If the bolt is not cycling, I would look at the key screws "as stated above" and the gas tube and block. Do you have a pinned on block? Have you changed your gas block out? If so, make sure that it has not moved on the barrel.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
douse the bolt in oil, fire a couple rounds and inspect. If there is leakage between the gas key and carrier you should see signs. Check the washers / wipes on the bolt itself ( remove from carrier to inspect) make sure they are not lined up where they split and that there are three. Can you give us some more Spec's? All new parts? did you put the upper together or did you buy it complete and new?

Latest posts

Top Bottom