Best Budget Rifle poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Budget Hunting Rifle for deer/hogs

• Mossberg ATR 100

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Remington 770

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Savage Axis/Edge

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Weatherby Vanguard

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • H&R one-shots

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a budget hunting rifle in the next couple of months . I consider budget under $500.
Please vote in the poll and give any good/bad comments on the rifles.
Please only comment if you have owned or spent some considearble time with the rifle.
The "reviews are good" or "I heard this was a good rifle" won't help me out much, since i can find that stuff myself.
Details would nice, like: Is the mossberg's Trigger system a good deal? Is the Savage's unique recoil lug prohibit customization? How is the fit and finish of the Remington?
Thanks!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you are willing to buy a used gun, the Savage 110 with the Accutrigger is pretty hard to beat.

There's always the older (Not Remlin) Marlin Lever Rifles, which I prefer.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are willing to buy a used gun, the Savage 110 with the Accutrigger is pretty hard to beat.

Same for me. The Accutrigger is excellent and the 10/110 platform is proven and surprisingly accurate for a budget rifle. With premium ammo I was able to get 5/8" five shot groups at 100 yards with a birch stocked, beater looking 110 in .270 (with a regular trigger, not the Accutrigger).

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the choices listed, I would have to go with H&R as my first pick, and the Weatherby Vanguard as the second choice. You get more bang for the buck with the H&R and can add an extra caliber or two for cheap which makes it pretty hard to go wrong with. I carry an H&R with a couple of barrels with me pretty much all the time.

For $500 you can get an H&R with a good scope and an extra rifle or shotgun barrel. The construction is much higher quality than the Mossberg or Remington choices listed.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&R in a super cool caliber like 357, 44, 444, or 45-70.. or perhaps 243 or 7-08 if you're feeling like being particularly efficient. Blow the rest on a decent scope and a box of ammo.

G

green_machine

I would also say savage. or get a slug barrel for your shotty(assuming u have one) and get a red dot if your shots will be all under 75yards(ish)..

89hits

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For one rifle the Weatherby is top notch.Great everything for 399 plus change.You will not wear it out.Grab a Lee loader and some stuff, and you're good to go, and later, doggone deadly with it if you practice.The one rifle man!

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the Mosin Nagant or a sporterized Mauser would be what i would have voted for.

I have a Mauser. But I really don't want to carry around a 29in beast in the woods. I'm also kind of a purist, don't want to mar its originality.

I would also say savage. or get a slug barrel for your shotty(assuming u have one) and get a red dot if your shots will be all under 75yards(ish)..

I have a Rem 870, but it's for HD, so I have separate plans for it. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom