Help ID and value this 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A business associate brought this to me. He's thinking about selling it. Need help getting information and a value.

Here's what I know. On the side of the frame, it's marked "Chip McCormick Corp., Austin TX" and the SN is CMC001410. The barrel says "Kart 45NM".

I've never seen grips like these. They are apparently laser etched wood, with a mahogany finish. The pistol shows zero wear, but a little pitting in one spot (from long term storage, I'd guess)

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_okiebryan_IMG_20120312_150916.jpg

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_okiebryan_IMG_20120312_150934.jpg

Anyone know anything about this? I did a little internet research, and learned that this name now makes lots of magazines and parts. The division that made the guns is now apparently a part of STI. I called them, and they couldn't tell me anything..except that the gun has to be more than 15 years old. They send all the MFG records to the ATF years ago, when the company changed hands.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've learned a bit since I posted this.

Apparently, Chris McCormick made a lot of high end 1911 parts. Competition grade stuff. This gun started life as a matched set, frame and slide (with McCormick grip safety and safety). The trigger set is McCormick, the barrel is Kart. The frame and slide sets were offered for about 2 years back in the early 90s. The Chip McCormick Corp was owned by Tripp Research, or Virgil Tripp. After being sold several times, the company is now STI International.

I was also told that Chip helped get Kimber off the ground. I don't know whether this is true. If it is, this gun might be something of an ancestor to the Kimber 1911 of today.

At any rate, it seems to be a neat little conversation piece. Had the slide off earlier, and there looks to be zero wear on the rails, slide or hammer. This thing hasn't been fired much at all. The parkerized finished is in really good shape.

Does anyone else have any information they could share? I'm really getting interested in the history of this thing.

More pics:
i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_okiebryan_IMG_20120313_010542.jpg

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_okiebryan_IMG_20120313_010514.jpg

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_okiebryan_IMG_20120313_010446.jpg

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii145_okiebryan_IMG_20120313_010435.jpg

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you pretty much have the history; the grips, are most likely not original to the gun. You might get someone to buy it for 900 or so.

panayoti01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
how does it shoot? could be a tack driver if it was assembled by someone competent. Kart is a good barrel. I don't think McCormick ever made complete pistols. what's wierd is that the gun looks like high end aftermarket parts except the slide release, mag release, and safety look like std Gi parts. Looks like bead blast finish can't tell if it is parkerized or some type of teflon/polymer finish. not sure about value. when new all those components were high dollar but they have been altered. wish i was closer i would like to have a look at it.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how does it shoot? could be a tack driver if it was assembled by someone competent. Kart is a good barrel. I don't think McCormick ever made complete pistols. what's wierd is that the gun looks like high end aftermarket parts except the slide release, mag release, and safety look like std Gi parts. Looks like bead blast finish can't tell if it is parkerized or some type of teflon/polymer finish. not sure about value. when new all those components were high dollar but they have been altered. wish i was closer i would like to have a look at it.

I haven't shot it. I'm afraid that if I do, then I will suddenly feel the need to come up with a grand or so. The finish is parkerized. The trigger feels like a million bucks, though. I don't know what you mean about components being altered? Bear with me, this is the first 1911 I've ever had my hands on.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the barrel, safety etc have to be fitted (filed etc) in most cases. i was thinking about parting it out. just put a few rounds through it. hehehe you know you want to.

This thing looks like it's almost never been fired. I don't know why, but I'd kinda hate to see this parted out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom