Browning Hi Power 9mm barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The factory barrel bore spec's run big; in the .356+ range. They usually won't shoot well unless you shoot bullets chosen to fit the bore of your particular barrel. Additionally the factory barrel is of two part construction. The chamber area is pressed onto the bore section. This does not present a problem in most cases. I have seen them before where separation was occurring at the "crack" where the two join.

+1 for a Bar-Sto, if you plan on keeping the HP. Bar-Sto's are of one piece construction and have a .355 bore to shoot all the conventionally available 9mm ammo.

As a heads up, the HP's made after about 1995 have cast frames and do not hold up to long use as well as the earlier forged framed units.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 80's era BHP was not very accurate. I've shot a couple of Bar-Sto equipped BHP's that were VERY accurate. If I ever got another one, good sights and a Bar-Sto would be the 1st two mods I'd do.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 80's era BHP was not very accurate. I've shot a couple of Bar-Sto equipped BHP's that were VERY accurate. If I ever got another one, good sights and a Bar-Sto would be the 1st two mods I'd do.

Were any of those BHPs converted from 40S&W to 9mm using the Bar-Sto conversion barrels?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9 mm vs 40 S&W has to do with slide mass, as well as breech face width.

I owned a 60's vintage HP that I'd had the frame and barrel hardchomed by the fine folks at Metaloy when they were in Tulsa under their original ownership. The parts stayed in the tank a little extra long, so had the sloppy tolerances considerably reduced. The gun shot .356+ lead bullets like a dream. I'd had a set of original Kensight adjustable sights installed along with an appropriate ramp front sight.

The mid-90's HP Practical was not a near equal replacement. It had a factory lower chrome job and some nice fixed sights. It simply was not that accurate and was showing much too premature wear signs both on the slide and the frame when I sent it packing.

I did not "hotrod" either, but ran them with rather modest lead loads. Dang I wish I had the 60's era one back. I've even acquired another original Kensight to put on a suitable replacement, if one comes my way.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked mine up and the reason I want the new barrel is because mine is separating like you mentioned. Mine was made in 1988 and, aside from the barrel, is actually in really good shape. I placed my order with bar-sto yesterday and am excited for the new barrel however it is going to take 18 to 22 weeks to get it which kinda sucks but ohh well.