New Record LMBass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a beast. 86-acre lake.

I think the next record will come from a ~100 acre municipal lake in NE OK. There's some mongo bass in some of those little lakes.

CWO 45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent many a day (and night) there as a teenager. And it's still my favorite camping place in Oklahoma. Does get a little hot in the summer, tho'

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations to him. Here is the wildlifedepartment email they sent out yesterday.

March 23, 2012

A service of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

Angler lands new Oklahoma state record largemouth bass

A new Oklahoma state record largemouth bass was caught Friday, March 23, at Cedar Lake in southeast Oklahoma. The fish weighed 14 lbs. 12.3 oz. and was caught by Poteau angler Benny Williams, Jr. while on a camping trip at the 78-acre LeFlore Co. lake.

Williams caught the bass at 11 a.m. on a ¼ oz. Striker King jig. This fish measured 26 inches in length and 22 3/8 inches in girth.

Williams' fish breaks a state record held since 1999 when William Cross caught a 14-lb. 11.52-oz. bass from Broken Bow Lake.

"Catching the state record largemouth bass in Oklahoma is a big deal and catching a fish this large is a big deal," said Barry Bolton, chief of fisheries for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. "It speaks to the quality of fishing we have in Oklahoma and also to the anglers who get out there and fish for them. We congratulate him on his great catch."

The last two state record largemouth bass as well as several from the state's Top 20 Largemouth Bass List have been caught in the southern and southeast regions of the state. Fish are cold-blooded, so their metabolisms work faster in warmer conditions and they grow more rapidly. Lakes in the southeast region of the state tend to warm up earlier and cool off later in the year than in other regions, which affords these fish a longer growing season.

According to Gene Gilliland, assistant chief of fisheries for the Wildlife Department, Cedar Lake has been known to produce big largemouth bass for anglers in recent years - not only because of its southeastern location, but also because it has a history of receiving Florida strain largemouth bass through the state's stocking program.

"They grow pretty fast down in that part of the state," Gilliland said. "Cedar Lake has produced several double-digit fish in the last five years."

Anglers who believe they may have hooked a record fish must weigh the fish on an Oklahoma State Department of Agriculture certified scale, and a Wildlife Department employee must verify the weight. For a complete list of record fish and the procedures for certifying a state record, consult the current "Oklahoma Fishing Guide" or log on to wildlifedepartment.com.

***Photo***

Benny Williams, Jr. of Poteau landed the new state record largemouth bass March 23 at Cedar Lake. The fish weighed 14 lbs. 12.3 oz.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie, I would consider it, if there wasn't going to be 100 other guys there trying the same thing. I remember when Lake Longmeir (sp) gave up that toad 2-3 years ago and people from out of state were coming down to fish that place.

I wonder how long this record will stand now?

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father in law lives there and operated a convenience store just outside the park. He has a cabin on his place that he rents out if anyone is interested instead of camping if you head down to try and catch her sister. Pm me for his contact info if interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom