44mag & 44spc powder rec?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would agree on unique or 2400. I load both, and like to load 44 mag with WW-296. It doesn't perform as well in 44 spl, it needs to be at proper case volume to ignite properly and you can't do that efficiently with a 44 spl. Blitzfike

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Titegroup? I use it for 9mm, 45acp and also .38spc. The load data shows that it works for both 44mag, 44spc, 357mag, all though not at the velocities attainable buy H110/WW296.

Would be nice just to use 1 powder for everything I load for.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I load Unique for .38 +p and .357 mag loads. From what I've read, it's pretty much a good mid-range powder for almost any pistol cartridge. If you're not loading house-a-fire loads in .44 mag, Unique will probably do what you need.

I'm thinking about trying some Longshot for hotter loads across multiple pistol calibers. Also look at HS-6 for medium to high. It's listed for both .44 spl and mag.

I want to get out and chrono my .357 loads with Unique vs some hot H110/W296 loads to see how different they are out of shorter barrels - 2 1/2" - 4".

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only problem with what I have read using H110/WW296 is that you have to use it at full power loads. Thats a lot of powder (more money) in my opinion for not that much of a gain. Now is I were loading heavy bullets and going to be in bear country, then yes H110/WW296 would get the nod.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My only problem with what I have read using H110/WW296 is that you have to use it at full power loads. Thats a lot of powder (more money) in my opinion for not that much of a gain. Now is I were loading heavy bullets and going to be in bear country, then yes H110/WW296 would get the nod.

My reading has basically leaned towards H110/W296 gives better returns in longer barrels, ie 6" and up. And at those lengths, they are the King, period. But yes, everything also says it's not downloadable, so max or nothing.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Goex FFFg would be my first choice.

TiteGroup was mentioned, it's a great powder but I've had metering problems with it. I pulled some bullets out of 5 random loads and powder weights varied from 4.6 to 5.4. It also produces a louder report and sharper recoil than equivalent loads of some other smokeless powders.

Trailboss is another great light to medium load powder. You don't have to worry about double charges with it.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use titegroup in several calibers, but haven't done any experimenting with it in 44. I have a variety of 44 calibere weapons, ranging from a contender to a desert eagle in 44 mag with a couple of lever rifles in there as well. The Deagle doesn't like reduced charges so I keep the ammo for it segregated and it is usually factory duplication loads with ww-296. Everything I have in 44 has a longer than six inch barrel, so the powders like 296 perform much better for me. Blitzfike

M

Matt Basterson

i like things simple, i use green dot for every handgun round i load for, especially 44mag/special, as well as 30-30 rifle and 45-70. these aren't super hot loads but i can get'em goin' plenty hot enough for me, and the rifle loads will take care of any chore i have for'em. a pound goes a long way for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom