Need Help, Replacing Storm Shelter Door.... Wife is gonna kill me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish you were local, i'd help you! You can do it.
Take off the old one and reattach like it came off, with same type harware.
Make sure to seal the gaps.

Ditto...If I had any time to catch my breath I'd at least come look at it and give you a pat on the shoulder. LOL.

As long as the foundation/mounting surface is intact, You can do it....

Looking at your pics...it actually doesn't seem that bad. A wire brush, sandpaper, paint, caulk etc....It will be as good as that setup can be.

Wire brush and sand the thing, repaint it. Buy some generic rolls of wide weatherstripping and run it on the inside of the doors where the door meets the frame, strip away all the old caulk where the frame meets the concrete and re-caulk. Weekend project!

You are probably getting as much leakage from the concrete structure as you are the door too...might look at some sealant inside.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the Lowe's page you posted, go the info and guides link under the pic. Tells you what tools, hardware, etc... you need to install the door. Should be very helpful. Tells what to do if the door is bent, or leaking water on the last page.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMAG0996 (1).jpg

a back view, should i at least go to Lowe's and buy up all the caulking and go to town? just dont want to do a half a$$ job but if i could save some cash im all for it.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto...If I had any time to catch my breath I'd at least come look at it and give you a pat on the shoulder. LOL.

As long as the foundation/mounting surface is intact, You can do it....

Looking at your pics...it actually doesn't seem that bad. A wire brush, sandpaper, paint, caulk etc....It will be as good as that setup can be.

Wire brush and sand the thing, repaint it. Buy some generic rolls of wide weatherstripping and run it on the inside of the doors where the door meets the frame, strip away all the old caulk where the frame meets the concrete and re-caulk. Weekend project!

You are probably getting as much leakage from the concrete structure as you are the door too...might look at some sealant inside.
or put a tarp over it... ;)
This sounds like a good start....go ahead..You Can Do It.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 20302

a back view, should i at least go to Lowe's and buy up all the caulking and go to town? just dont want to do a half a$$ job but if i could save some cash im all for it.

Truthfully, that's what I'd do for something that old. Get some concrete patch for any cracks, caulk/sealer for the cut/formed seams as well as the joint where the frame meets the concrete, and some rolls of weatherstripping for the doors themselves. I bet you'll get off a lot cheaper than buying a new hatch for a 50 year old hidey hole and paying someone to put it in. (especially since the 'new' one isn't watertight either)

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the Lowe's page you posted, go the info and guides link under the pic. Tells you what tools, hardware, etc... you need to install the door. Should be very helpful. Tells what to do if the door is bent, or leaking water on the last page.

good info to have, the tools and supplies shouldnt be an issue, it just seems anytime i have ever done a simple project to this house that should more or less be a pull and swap it has turned into a HUGE project because of the age of the house. im afraid i will get the old hatch off and not be able to secure the new one.

i couldn't believe the hatch is only secure by a few small screws, think i will not tell the Mrs about that. LOL

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing is... the door isn't what is giving you a strong level of safety here. The fact you are underground is what provides that. You are under the level of what is swirling around overhead.

I too vote for paint, patch concrete, seal inside, and weatherstripping. Call it done.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing is... the door isn't what is giving you a strong level of safety here. The fact you are underground is what provides that. You are under the level of what is swirling around overhead.

I too vote for paint, patch concrete, seal inside, and weatherstripping. Call it done.

this is the way i will try first, the BIG picture was get the water out but i had to stop the water from coming in as best as possible, so thats where the new hatch came in, then clean out the inside, get some kind of paint sealer for the walls....... then start Doomsday Prepping, lol, jk

seems a new hatch would need just as much sealing so might as well try and get a few more miles out of this old girl before i trade her in.

thank you fellas

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This would be a very worthwhile project. I've never had a basement but as I understand it, you can buy a rubberized sealer that is painted on basement walls to prevent (or slow) water from coming in. As far as the door goes, it looks to me that you have a solid starting point from which to work.

I bet that with some caulk, weatherstripping, etc., you could end up with a nice shelter for the family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom