Need Help, Replacing Storm Shelter Door.... Wife is gonna kill me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok fella's i need a little help here, the wife has finally laid down the law.

short back story, we have a house that has an old bomb shelter in pretty good shape, only problem is it has a very small amount of water that gets into it because the storm door its self is old, the seals are cracked, basically it just needs a new storm door and i can do the rest.

problem is i have called and called and called all the storm shelter businesses and they all say they dont replace old one's and only refer me to the place they get their doors.

i can get my own door, Lowe's has it on their website i just dont feel comfortable installing it myself.

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/sto..._-Nextag-_-Bilco Basement Classic Door Size C

does anyone know of a business or an experienced professional that could help out?

its my a$$ if i cant get this done. LOL. any help is much appreciated.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
talk with Lowe's, after being transferred 3 times they said i could check with the companies they contract with, after calling them, they only do regular house doors not storm/tornado shelter doors.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure that the door you need? Looking at the specs, it has no weatherstripping...

Does your shelter have another, inner, door? Because the one in the link isn't a storm shelter door...it's just a basement hatch.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure that the door you need? Looking at the specs, it has no weatherstripping...

Does your shelter have another, inner, door? Because the one in the link isn't a storm shelter door...it's just a basement hatch.

i could be using the wrong terminology then, there is actually no "door" i guess its just the hatch that i need replaced. i have the exact model just older currently on my bomb shelter. it opens up and there are only stairs leading down into the shelter.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seeing as how the hatch is the only thing separating my family from a tornado i really dont feel 100% comfortable taking out the old one and install a new one. maybe all i need is a boost of confidence from you guys :)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I gotcha.

Without weatherstripping on the doors I imagine you'll have the same trouble with water leakage, even with a new one. If the old hatch is physically intact, you could get some weatherstripping/caulk and fix it up yourself, save some $$. Just shootin' some ideas.

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMAG0994.jpg

i could be over thinking this, the door is old, works, the main side of the door is a little bent, the main issue is that its not water tight. am i over thinking this, is it as simple as just caulking the crap out of this thing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom