Need Help, Replacing Storm Shelter Door.... Wife is gonna kill me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You earn some extra punches on your man card just for trying it!

Post up some before and after pics for us....

XDsooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You earn some extra punches on your man card just for trying it!

Post up some before and after pics for us....

excellent idea, consider it DONE! .... its a pretty cool space, the shelter itself is in real good shape, about 12 steps down leads you into a concrete room that's 12x16x7 , if i can get it into good enough shape it may just become the new Man Cave.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Side note. Id put a small emergency kit in there a couple bottles of water, bandages, and a decent flash light maybe a battery powered radio. It wont hurt..... I'd also hit it with insecticide every time you spray. Don't wanna hide from the storm with a bunch of creepy crawlers.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen those old bulkhead doors on a lot of cellars and basements over the years. Most leak some....I'd caulk it up and change out whatever gaskets or weather stripping there is (or add some).

You have to keep those things painted... they rust out on the flange that you bolt through some times.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In order for the sump to work to it's full potential, you will have to cut a hole, in the lowest point in the cellar, big enough to hold the sump. This way, all the water will be removed and you will not have a thin layer of water left. Safety issues include mold, algea buildup that will be slicker than pig snot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom