Can Permanent Resident get CCW licence in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, still this is not federal issue but state-based, that is beautify of federalism.

When the state enacts laws that violate the US Constitution and the civil rights of those under the jurisdiction of the US, the only redress is the courts. If some resident alien who lives in Oklahoma were to apply for an OK SDA license and subsequently were to be denied for not being a citizen, they would have definite grounds to file a lawsuit in Federal court. I think they would win. Especially since KY already lost this same argument, as was noted above.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 7 yr Florida license @ $117 original & $65 renewal is definitely a better deal than Oklahoma right now.
--------------------------

How long will my license be valid?Concealed Weapon or Firearm Licenses issued on or after June 11, 2008, under the authority of Section 790.06, Florida Statutes, are valid for a period of 7 years. Concealed weapon licenses issued prior to this date are still valid for 5 years. For more information about the increase in the valid term of the concealed weapon license, please see the notice regarding this change.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the state enacts laws that violate the US Constitution and the civil rights of those under the jurisdiction of the US, the only redress is the courts. If some resident alien who lives in Oklahoma were to apply for an OK SDA license and subsequently were to be denied for not being a citizen, they would have definite grounds to file a lawsuit in Federal court. I think they would win. Especially since KY already lost this same argument, as was noted above.

Not questioning the issue of constitutionality, but do you really want every non-US Citizen with the right to carry?

With the history of our inability to screen out the undesirables who wind up with green cards and student visas this seems like a bad situation to me. I don't trust foreign governments and I certainly don't trust this US Government to weed out the terrorist types, or, the criminal element. Just because some non-resident alien doesn't have a record doesn't mean they are not terrorists/criminals.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you think them not getting a ccw will prevent people from breaking the law?

Exactly ^^^^ This... Resident Aliens who pass a background check can buy guns, they should have a legal path the carry just like anyone else.

Student Visa would not be eligible. They are not resident aliens.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not believe it has changed. Wanted to get it for my wife, but she was not naturalized until recently. In Oklahoma, you still have to be a citizen to carry (legally).

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what happened in KY. They now sell licenses to resident aliens.
I suspect the OK requirement to be a US Citizen would not stand up in Federal Court, particularly with the established precedent. IANAL
The New Mexico Requirement of Citizenship also got overturned in federal court, IMSM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom