Can I use my FN Five seveN for concealed carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Haggard

I took my concealed carry class over the weekend, and I'll be going to take all the paperwork in tomorrow. I was wondering if it would be ok to use this gun(five seven), or am I asking for trouble carrying this? The ccw instructor did mention to not use armor piercing rounds, but I can just get some hollow points for it. I just want to be responsible about this, so any knowledge on the subject would be great.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it would matter what pistol you carried as long as it was .45 or under, and did not use a restricted bullet as defined in the State code:

OS 1289.19 said:
1. "Restricted bullet" means a round or elongated missile with a core of less than sixty percent (60%) lead and having a fluorocarbon coating, which is designed to travel at a high velocity and is capable of penetrating body armor

So what I'm saying is it's nothing particular to the Five seveN. Also, the original SS190 rounds for that pistol and/or P90 were lead core, (someone fact check me here) but could penetrate a vest, but would not be restricted by OS 1289.19. Note the "AND" statement above. i.e. you can use steel core ammo in a rifle, but it can't have a fluorocarbon (Teflon) coating. This law was put on the books as a result of the "teflon bullet" scare, but would not restrict other ammo "capable of penetrating body armor".

Edit: I should have mentioned there is the Federal definition of "armor piercing" to contend with,

The classification of all ammunition is governed strictly by the definitions presented in the GCA. Specifically, as defined in 18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(17)(B), the term “armor piercing ammunition” means -

…

1. a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
2. a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

but I did find this article which is interesting:

http://gunwalker.com/5.7x28mm/armorpiercing.html

IOW, ATF can say they classify the SS190 as "armor piercing" but if that does not comport with the actual wording of federal law, it isn't valid. Kind of moot, since you can't realistically buy the SS190 anyway. Almost all the other variants are not classified by ATF OR Oklahoma as AP.

Last edited:
H

Haggard

In Tulsa county, I got mine in 71 days. My husband got his in 64.
yeah I read that in your thread, I wonder why it's taking so long lately? I asked my consealed carry instructor about how long it takes. He told me that it could be anywhere between 3 weeks to a month and a half. I guess I won't be seeing it that soon. :(

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be more concerned than anything about the over penetration of the 5.7 round. But I fully admit I am ignorant about the gun and the caliber to be honest, I just know it is a really, really hot load. Anyone have any insight in this area???

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can think of at least 3 other calibers I'd rather carry for self defense... and .380 is not in those 3 (for those who thought it was on the list).

I can see those high speed 22's ending up way down the street, leaving a ice pick hole in a bad guy....

Read a little of the linked thread... my opinion stands... but I stand corrected.about terminal performance.. 5.7 seems to have poor penetration. Sounds like a poor choice to me....

Latest posts

Top Bottom