Best rifle for Shorts and Long Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please post your suggestion for bolt/pump/lever/semiauto rifles that will cycle both .22 Short and LRs.

I'm aware of Remington's Fieldmaster and Speedmaster. But both are a bit pricey for me at this point.
So is Marlin's 39A (although they are pretty awesome).
I've thought about Henry levers too, but I'd really like a range rifle ( so bolt or auto). Something I can shoot at home (with shorts) and at the range (with LRs) to practice trigger pull and the basics of markmanship.
I currently have my eyes set on a Marlin 981T or TS. No magazines to worry about breaking or buying or losing.And they are priced around $200 for what I've seen.

Please, what are the forums' thoughts given these guidelines:

-must cycle both .22 S and LR
-preferably bolt or semiauto (but for the right price, anything)
-under $250 (used or new)
-known to be reliable and accurate out to 100yds with LR

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Quieter...that's all I want to say
They are that. We used to use them for shooting rats and pigeons in tin barns when I was a kid. Did not damage the tin but would still kill at close range.

Just a thought. Have you looked at the CB Longs? They are quiet and have the added advantage of not fouling the chamber the way that cb caps or shorts do. I do not know how they relate price wise. I tried them some time ago and found them extremely quiet in my bolt gun but strictly a close range gun accuracy wise. Will shoot minute of cat at backyard range.
Just another option to consider.

Michael

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are that. We used to use them for shooting rats and pigeons in tin barns when I was a kid. Did not damage the tin but would still kill at close range.

Just a thought. Have you looked at the CB Longs? They are quiet and have the added advantage of not fouling the chamber the way that cb caps or shorts do. I do not know how they relate price wise. I tried them some time ago and found them extremely quiet in my bolt gun but strictly a close range gun accuracy wise. Will shoot minute of cat at backyard range.
Just another option to consider.

Michael

Strange you mention that...CCI has some sub-sonic LR I was looking 30 minutes ago. About as expensive as Short though. If anyone has any input about how loud that particular SS ammo is, please comment. If it is as loud as a pellet gun that is fine, since I shoot the pellet gun where I live now.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be cruising all the back walls in gun and pawn shops looking for old bolt action single shot 22s... just about all of those will eat shorts longs or long rifles ...in addition to CB and BB caps (I have not seen either for a long time...Dixie gun works is the last place I bought CB or BB caps from) Killed many a rat in a grain bin with such a set up...

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got lucky and picked up a '56 Marlin 39a Mountie (shorter barrel, straight grip) for $325 a few months back at a local pawnshop. Great little gun!! Runs anything you throw at it. In fact, if I had to give up my other .22s and keep one, the 39a is it.

Keep a watch out for one. My bro got a good deal on one too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom