M1 Carbine failure to feed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had FTF's in various GI (and other) firearms due to worn magazines. The mags may look generally okay, but on close examination, the cut for the mag catch in the mag body may be worn, which will directly cause FTF's. Additionally misplaced mag lock cuts will cause FTF's. Make sure your test mag(s) are quality ones, hopefully ones that run 100% in other M-1 Carbines.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I finally got a chance to try it out after snugging and re-staking the gas cylinder nut. It didn't help.

Next on the list is to try swapping the mag catch. I'd also like to see if I can find some brand new magazines.

If none of that fixes it, I am out of ideas.

Jim

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't claim to know what I'm saying on this stuff. Take this for what its worth, but:

1. Don't discount the mags being the problem. Try a new AO 15 round mag, not a 'new to you' surplus or chinky chicom repro.
2. Don't discount the ammo being the problem. Even 'well respected' carbine ammo like Aguilla and Privi is reported to be an issue all over the internet. The benchmark appears to be Remington 110gr ball. If it has issues running that, then it isn't the ammo's fault.

It appears that FTF/FTE/misfeed issues are common with M1 Carbines. When you have a combo of old worn gun with old worn mags popping off potent fresh ammo the timing can be wonky.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
epoxy and bailing wire is my prescription until the doctor can see it in person.

Honeybee
aka Dr. Don

Don, I'd like to try to get it running myself. Despite it occasionally being frustrating, part of the fun of these old milsurps is working on them. If that doesn't work out I'll keep you in mind. Any idea how long you'd have to have it? I know many gunsmiths can get pretty backed up. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to get it running.

As for everybody else's suggestions....

1. I'll see what I can come up with for a spring kit other than the Wolff kit. From my readings their extra power recoil springs cause more problems than they solve. Of course I already have a new recoil spring in it now. So, I don't really need that one. The kit may be the easiest way to get all the others. I'll check.

2 Ammo. I have now tried Monarach, Remington, and American Eagle. All with exact same results. If the problem is old carbine with new ammo, I guess the fix for that would be mainly new springs.

3. Auto Ordnance mags? Have you guys have any luck with them? Mostly all I see are complaints about Auto Ordnance carbines. I figured the mags would be included in that. As bad as it may seem, I'm thinking about trying the Korean GI mags. The Koreans continued to use the M1/M2 Carbine for a long time. My thinking is that they might make a good magazine for it.

4. I haven't chnaged the mag catch yet. My old one looks the same as my new NOS one. I guess I'll still go ahead and change it in case the difference isn't readily apparent.

Thanks everybody. If you have any more thoughts, feel free to share them.

Jim

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another update.

Last night I ordered some more parts and also swapped mag catches.

Test fired it today. Failure rate was significantly lower and the remaining failures seemed to extraction/ejection related. Included with the parts I ordered are a new extractor and ejector, plus all the springs. I'm hoping once the parts get here I will have the issues ironed out.

Jim

M

milsurp

You might see how much slop your mag release has. I had to give mine a few whacks with a wooden dowel and rubber mallet to tighten things up and take the looseness out of the mag fit(alloy TG). I also had FTFeed and swapped for a Wolff spring and that thing was so stiff the bolt wouldnt go back far enough to strip another round. I put the old spring back in and tried a different brand of ammo and havent had a FTF yet.

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully my final update. It turns out my gas cylinder nut had come loose again. After a re-re-staking, I fired 50 rounds with absolutley no failures.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys.

Jim

Latest posts

Top Bottom