Anyone know how to tell if a Vacuum Tube is good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran across a few old tubes while going through some old boxes of electronics... have no idea what they're for?

There is set of 4 Sylvania 12AX7WA that all have the exact same markings and numbers on them. A couple more differently marked Sylvanias of the same type, a couple of longer, skinnier NEC 6AQ5.

They all look clear, but I gather that doesn't necessarily mean they are good from what I'm gathering? They weren't in boxes so that makes me a little suspicious.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice on how to confirm if these are good. Thanks!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 Sylvanias are preamp tubes the NEC's are audio amp tubes. 2 ways to test, in a tube tester, or in the circuit under power. Maybe one of the music stores has a tube tester since tube amps are popular with musicians.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Typically tubes degraded from the moment they were plugged in. If they haven't been used, they are likely still good.... if you had something to put them in.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys (especially you noober... that would work great if I had whatever device these work in :saywhat: ).

I never thought to go take them down to a music store. Now that I think about it, I know there are a couple of electronics parts stores in town too, I could just take them down there and maybe they'd buy them too if they work? I'd be happy just to get some lunch money from it rather than throw them out. I just don't want to waste too much time dealing with it, but I have this built-in fear of throwing away potentially good parts.

Noober1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys (especially you noober... that would work great if I had whatever device these work in :saywhat: ).

I never thought to go take them down to a music store. Now that I think about it, I know there are a couple of electronics parts stores in town too, I could just take them down there and maybe they'd buy them too if they work? I'd be happy just to get some lunch money from it rather than throw them out. I just don't want to waste too much time dealing with it, but I have this built-in fear of throwing away potentially good parts.

Search youtube...plenty of videos of non-guitar items...but it's a conspiracy theory so .....

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New old stock in the box on the sylvania and NEC tubes looks to be about $12 a piece. Probably not going to get much for unknown quality, 12AX7WA's are still being made by Sovtek for 12 a piece.

Latest posts

Top Bottom