Cowboy Hats: Felt, or Straw?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, no matter what someone tells you, there arent really any rules to cowboy hats. Those that have rules of when to wear what, typically arent really "cowboys". As I stated, I have been to rodeo after rodeo, worked on ranch after ranch, mucked stall after stall. I have seen REAL cowboys who wore felt year round, never owned straw. I have seen guys that only wear straw when working, every other time was felt (like work all day wearing straw, then when they'd get cleaned up they put on their felt, didnt matter if it was 10 or 110 outside). Known guys that never owned felt.

C

Clay

The formality is Easter and Halloween I think but I go strictly by temps and wear what's comfortable. I have had people tell me I can't wear my straw because it wasn't Easter yet...watch me.

C

Clay

Straws are cheaper but they don't hold up as well as beaver. Hell i still have the first beaver I got when I was 18. Its taken some serious pounding but it just wont wear out.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not normally wear hats. But if I were a cowboy hat wearing guy, I would go with the Oklahoma traditional Tom Mix look.

i45.tinypic.com_2w1rr5h.jpg

X

X Army MP

Resistol is the only way to go. If its hot or humid outside don't wear felt. I got a $200 Resistol felt I bought 11 years ago and that thing has held up to the abuse I've put it through. I've sat and stepped on it lots of times and it just pops right back out.

I have TBI, PTSD, and no regrets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom