Does anyone know if this is true - fee for expired license even if you renew it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife failed to fully stop at a stop sign today the offer issued her a warning for it. She didn't know that her license had expired 4 months ago and he told her that if she would go to renew it and then show the clerk that it would be taken care of with no fee. She went to the tag agency and had the license renewed, but when she called the Broken Arrow clerks office they said there would be a $50 fee. When she got there and they saw it had been expired by more than 60 days, it went to a $150 fee. Is this how it works? Can anyone confirm this? I thought (and it sounds like the officer thought) that if you bring your license in and show it was renewed that there would be no fee.

p.s. get our your license right now and check the expiration. Put it on your computer or phone to give you a heads up before it expires...

Thanks,

Alan

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you saying her car tag (registration) or her driver's license was expired by 4 months? In either case, the officer gave her a big break by not a.) impounding the car for taxes due the state under the former or b.) arresting her for driving without a license in the case of the latter. And if she received a warning, not an actual citation, why did the Broken Arrow clerks office tell her there would be a $150 fee? There are no fees for a warning ticket. Did she get a ticket for expired DL? Only the judge or city prosecutor can waive or lower a preset fine associated with a ticket; court clerks have no discretion in that.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, DL was expired by 4 months. Warning for the failing to come to a complete stop, but expired DL was not a warning I believe...

Is driving with a license that expired in good standing the same thing as driving without a license? She said the officer thought she could just renew it and that would be dropped...

Thanks,

Alan

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alan,

I think they calculated the penalty on a late license TAG, not a driver's license. After the 30 day "Grace" period, a penalty accrues daily for the next 30 days, thus ending at day 60.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is driving with a license that expired in good standing the same thing as driving without a license?

Yes, it is. Kind of like being pregnant - you either have a valid DL or you don't. By definition, if your DL is expired you have no valid DL - and therefore you're driving without a license. Best course of action is to get the DL renewed before the court date; appear before the judge and present the now-valid DL - if she's got an otherwise clean record, hopefully he/she will dismiss the ticket and drop the fine to court costs only (but that's not guaranteed).

Latest posts

Top Bottom