14.9mm SOP... I want one!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just saw a 14.9mm SOP for the first time... that is one heck of a round. I'd love to shoot one..
------------------------

14.9mm SOP Rifle & Cartridge
The 14.9mm SOP is an incredible extra long range rifle project that a number of people at Snipers Hide have been collaborating on. The huge rifle fires a very long and heavy projectile with a high ballistic coefficient giving it extreme accuracy. It has 0.5 MOA accuracy at 3000 yards and remains supersonic out to 5400 yards (5 kilometers).

View attachment 22121
View attachment 22120

The 14.9mm SOP cartridge case is formed from a 20mm Vulcan case. The 1,690 grain projectile leaves the muzzle at 3,350 fps with 42,104 ft/lbs of energy (that is not a typo!). This is almost twice the muzzle energy of the 14.5×114mm Russian and 14.5mm JDJ. It has more kinetic energy at the muzzle than a 20mm Vulcan, and far more kinetic energy downrange, although the Vulcan is carrying an explosive payload (chemical energy).

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/06/27/14-9mm-sop-rifle-cartridge/

The 14.9mm bullet alone is more than 2x's the size of a 30-06 cartridge.

View attachment 22122

M

Mustang Armory, LLC

I don't have an adequate response for this. What on earth are they using for a telescope? Something from an astronomer?!

I'd like to see this with a silencer..

xnavychief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anti Aircraft(what the 20mm originally was) or modified armor penetrating rounds for tank killing would be about all it's good for and that's already covered quite well. I'm sure there are people with 502 big blocks in chevy vegas who would disagree, but without a computer and optics(huge) to support that range(maybe that's in the back seat of the vega?) attempting to use it on humans would be sort of pointless.

Latest posts

Top Bottom