Badlands Tactical Phase 1 Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWDG3

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last several years I've spent more time pistol training and really neglected the rifle. So two weeks ago I attended Phase 1 Rifle @ Badlands Tactical with a shorty Howa 308. It's lighter than most rifles thru the course. Overall I'm happy with setup. Only real trouble was the Ken Farrell rings couldn't hold the big USO consistently for 3.5+ days of shooting. Timney trigger turned into a gravel bar. Ordered the new 2 stage trigger from Howa, will try it shortly. A few specs...

Action trued, 8-40 screw and bolt knob upgrade @ Short Action Customs.
Bolt and barrel fluting @ Kampfeld Customs.
Bartlein #3 10 twist.
Chambered by Mark Karamitis of Claremore OK.
Manners TA stock bedded by me.
Custom lopro Farrel 20moa 8-40 rail.

[Broken External Image]

This stock has a stock pack now. Note the Terry Cross riser is laterally adjustable. This allows a more comfortable centerline weld. I don't have to crane my neck over the top of the riser as much to aquire sight picture.

i248.photobucket.com_albums_gg193_MWDG3_Howa3087a.jpg

Learned a lot of good information, most of it alien to me. Steve, Andy and Bobby were all involved in different aspects of the training. Awesome attitudes and patience go a long way toward bringing my people up to speed. :) I would highly recommend this to any and all interested in precision field shooting and/or hunting.

Wednesday morning zero was a couple inches off after first full day of knobbing the scope @ unkown distance ranges. Not quite sure if it was tracking or shooter related. Thursday before qualification the shooter was having serious issues and had to qualify with Steve's 308. Later I would realize the scope moved forward in the rings and was rotated left. Both moves in properly torqued caps. I actually had to break the cap screws loose once home. The little Farrell rings just couldn't handle the big USO T-pal.

600 yard qualification, 5 shots 20"x40" target...
i248.photobucket.com_albums_gg193_MWDG3_qual600.jpg

Really enjoyed the movers on Friday. 5 shots left-right and 5 rt-lt @ 100 yards. This was with the Howa...
i248.photobucket.com_albums_gg193_MWDG3_mover100.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom