DPMS LR-308 Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a DPMS LR-308 Oracle, this model has the 16 inch thredded barrel with a Jerry Miculek compensator on the end. This is a barebones rifle with no other aftermarket mods done to it besides the compensator. I have only fired this rifle less than 40 times total and am very happy with its performance. The issue that I am having is the last time I went out to shoot it I had some Hornady 150gr SST ammo that I ran through it and while policing my brass I noticed that about one in four rounds that I picked up were completely missing the primer almost like they had been pulled. There is a small mark on the rim of the case where the ejector has scored the case ever so slightly upon ejection. Is this issue of the primers being knocked out something to worry about or could this be just a new rifle that needs to be loosened up more wih a few more rounds run through it. I noticed that a few other rounds that I policed seemed to have the primer slightly unseated as well but still inside the case. Any help here would be appreciated. I will post pics of the brass shortly.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How deep was the firing pen indentations on the primers you recovered? Were they deep? If so, might there be a chance your firing pin penetrated some of the primers and then pulled them out of the case on ejection? My M&P 15 has a really deep strike on the primers... but I've never noticed any burn through or any having been pulled out of the case.

You might e-mail Hornady customer service and ask them nicely about the problem... they might want to see one of the cases. You never know.. they might send you some ammo if it turns out to be a manufacturing issue. I've read of Hornady doing that for others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom