.25-284

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna' put one together. Long story short, I don't have anything in .257 caliber, and I have been kicking around the idea of building something. I don't want something that just everybody has like a .25-06 or .250 Savage or .257 Roberts or .257 Weatherby. I finally settled on the .25-284 and looked into converting a Savage 110 in .270 that I already have. I discovered that E.R. Shaw makes a replacement barrel for the Savage 110 in .25-284, but their lead time is about four months! I've been looking around elsewhere, but haven't found another option yet. If any of you have any other ideas, or if you have played with a .25-284 and have some favorite loads or other advice to offer, I'm all ears!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to buy 3 barrels. That way you get 300 rounds of shooting before you need another barrel.

You can just get a .257 blank in the contour you want and have Baldwin chamber it for you.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can just get a .257 blank in the contour you want and have Baldwin chamber it for you.

I could do that, but not nearly as cost effective and probably no faster. I talked with Steve first. He doesn't have the reamer, so we'd have to buy that. By the time he threaded, chambered, blued and put it together, I would have a lot more money in it and, like I said, probably no faster.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possible stupid question but are custom Contender barrels available? That way you wouldn't have to mess with all the headspacing/mating to the action and the like. You could just slap it on and go.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could do that, but not nearly as cost effective and probably no faster. I talked with Steve first. He doesn't have the reamer, so we'd have to buy that. By the time he threaded, chambered, blued and put it together, I would have a lot more money in it and, like I said, probably no faster.

You want custom, quick and on budget? LOL You've been watching kids playing with fireworks too much :)

Just get 25-06 and call it a day - case capacity is the same and not as much over-bore. Or surely you can cook-up .25-08 with stuff laying around.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You want custom, quick and on budget? LOL You've been watching kids playing with fireworks too much :)

Nope. Not at all. I can get the E.R. Shaw barrel, countoured, threaded, chambered and blued for $215 +$25 S&H. Installation and headspacing is then a simple matter.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possible stupid question but are custom Contender barrels available? That way you wouldn't have to mess with all the headspacing/mating to the action and the like. You could just slap it on and go.

I don't know, but since I don't own a Contender, and I have the Savage in the safe ...

On the other hand, that WOULD give me an excuse to buy a complete new firearm to start toying with!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all honesty 25-284 is just not a good cartridge ... it won't do anything that 243 can, just burn powder and barrels.

You want something cool? How about 25-6.5x47 Lapua or as history knows it as 250 Savage AI, but with MUCH stronger case design. I bet you can match 25-06 loads with HALF the powder.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been almost obsessed with the 6.5 Creedmoor. There's a good chance that'll be my next build after I get some of my irons out of the fire. If you want an oddball .25, why not slap a 25 in there? Or a .25-260?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been almost obsessed with the 6.5 Creedmoor. There's a good chance that'll be my next build after I get some of my irons out of the fire. If you want an oddball .25, why not slap a 25 in there? Or a .25-260?

Really? 6.5 Creedmoor? Not 6.5x55 or 6.5-284 or 260Rem or 6.5x47 that Lapua does make brass for, but Creedmoor ...