best deal on ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PistolPackin'Honey

I want to start stockpiling some ammo...not like prepping for the end of the world kinda stuff.
Just would feel better if we had some stuck back. I'm a couponer, so I like having stuff stocked.
I'm weird. I got a great deal on laundry detergent and fabric softener a few years ago, and I bought enough to take care of my household, my family, my friends and some neighbors. I am still using that detergent & softener. It's name brand and I got the stuff for dirt cheap.

So I wanna find the best deal on ammo, and I'd like to start setting some back. But with all the different brands, kinds, etc I really don't know what I need to look for. I realize when it comes down to it, any bullet will take out an intruder. I just don't want to stock up on a bunch of crappy ammo either.

My carry weapon is a Springfield XD-40 subcompact, and my husband's carry weapon is a Springfield XD-45.
So I am going to need to have two different kinds.

So I guess my questions are:
1. What kind should I get? I need some for range shooting/target, and I need some for home defense.
(Brand, type, hollowpoint, etc.)
2. Where should I get it from? I don't mind ordering it off the internet, but I don't wanna pay so much for shipping that I could have gotten it local for cheaper. We've been buying our target rounds from Sports World here in Tulsa. They have some bagged stuff up by the counter. It's probably horrible, but me being a newbie...I don't know the difference. I WANT to know the difference though.

I'm in Tulsa, but I don't mind driving a little bit. I love seeing different gun shops and stuff that I haven't been to yet. Like H & H in OKC. I've driven by there, but haven't got to stop in yet. Next time I'm in OKC, I am so there.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My personal favorite is Sportsman's Guide.

I'll buy their annual club membership because it pays for itself in shipping and discounts. And now they have a Visa card that gives me 10 bucks in coupons for every 1000 I spend anywhere. Plus it gives me an extra 2.5% discount on what I order.

Every once in a while, they send out an email that offers free shipping. That is usually when I order a few cases of ammo. Keep it to 9 items or less when ordering online or it gets kicked to a human and they will stick you for the shipping.

Also, they have a 4-Pay system. Over 150 bucks, you get to break you payments into 4 with no interest. And you don't get charged until the stuff ships.

Great way to play when ammo is backordered. I have waited as long as 18 months playing their backorder games, but when the .223 came in, I got is for 100 bucks a case when everyone else was paying 250.

And, if you go thru "fatwallet.com" before you order, you get something like another 3-6% in cash back thru fatwallet.

Dave

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd agree with Ratski. Sportsman's Guide can be a good way to go. I'm not currently a member but have been in the past. On the topic of H&H, stop in when you can. It's quite a place to go and look around.

vicsinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as brands of ammo go, it really depends on what ammo brands your guns like. Handguns are a lot like kids - some guns are finicky and others will eat whatever you want to give them. The bag ammo at Sports World works in all my guns. Ammo to Go has a good deal on 40 S&W -500rds of Fiocchi Canned Heat 180gr. FMJ for $176.95. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/500rds-40-sw-fiocchi-canned-heat-180gr-fmj-truncated-ammo

Some gun owners manuals will give you suggestions as to which brand of ammo it prefers.

As far as SD ammo, you can't go wrong with Gold Dots.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually run Winchester White Box (WWB) from Wal-Mart for my .45 since it's ~$42 for 100 rounds. It's good for practice shooting and they have hollowpoint ammo that costs about the same.

thegomezclan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too get almost all my ammo from Sportsman's Guide. I have a membership and I wait till they have free shipping, then I will buy it at 1000 rounds at a time. This last time they didn't have any 1000 bulk ammo so I just got 20 boxes of fifty for the same price. Only took about 7 day to get to my house.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're genuinely interested I would get a reloading manual and read it. Then look at getting a single stage press so you can learn to make your own. Based on my counter on boomershooter I've gone through 9200 rounds this year and there would be no realistic way for me to purchase that much ammo if it was costing me retail. I can however afford to both stock and shoot nigh unlimited ammo at $90/1000 or so that it costs me to manufacture it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom