Muzzleloader help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigboy4122

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to post this in another area but I thought I could get more looks from hunters here. I am looking for some suggestions for loads for my powder gun. Its an Thompson center encore, with a 28" barrel. I have been shooting 3, 50 grain pyrodex pellets and a barns 250 grain sabot. I cant get any better than 3 shot in a 18" circle. I put my .243 barrel on and i can cut clover leaves. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks Jason

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get rid of the pellets. Get some loose powder and try different loads. Start at 80 grains and go up in small increments. You might be surprised. This is assuming your scope and rings are in order.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read that the best accuracy isn't always gotten running 150 grain charges. Also, throw around is that the 209 primers are too hot and start moving the powder charge before the powder ignites.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
18" circle!!! Sound like me yesterday wity my RUM LOL
Out of our Encores weve had best luck accuracy wise with PowerBelts. I've read a lot on them about being crap for hunting but I've never seen an issue with them out to 200 yards. All deer shot have fallen to one shot. That's also with 100-150 grains on pyrodex.
Same load I run put of my Rem700 ML

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
back it down to 2 pellets and try a lighter bullet. as was said before, loose powder is more accurate. the pellets are sure easier to handle, but if you run really heavy bullets you may need the loose stuff.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Loose powder, loose powder, loose powder, as mentioned above:) The encore I used to have would not shoot the pellets consistantly. Final straw for me on the pellets was watching a buddy sight in his knight, he pulled the trigger on two pellets. We watched three splashes in the pond in front of us about 25y in front of the shooting table. We think one was the powerbelt, the other was an unburned pellet and the other was a partially burned pellet because there was a smoke trail to the water. This was right after pellets were introduces also, they're probably better now.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned a couple Encore ML's, and the best accuracy I got came with 100 grs Pyrodex pellets and 300 gr Hornady SST. I never had any luck with Triple 7 powder or Powerbelts, and I tried both in different combinations.

My Knight ML really liked Barnes 250 gr Expanders, but the Encores didn't get along with them very well.

mrgecko

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a lot of info on the pellets going bad in just over a year and not shooting worth a hoot after that. A buddy of mine was shooting the pellets out of his 209X.50 encore and got similar results to you. He switched to powder and saw great improvement. I personally use 90 grains of pyrodex out of mine, and shoot either 320 or 370 grain maxi balls from TC. My gun Stainless Encore 209X50 will shoot either of these very well. They drop a lot over longer distances but i have never shot a deer at over 100 yards in OK anyway. Good luck. Start at 80 grains as mentioned above and work up. This method is tried, tested and true.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI: If you ever decide to ditch the shotgun primers then I believe David White (aka D&T on OSA) will modify your breach plug to accept 25 ACP brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom