Job decisions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artic-Z

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, lets see some opinions on what you feel is most important.

I'm in the position that my current job has been slowing down for some time but seeing as im family
i can be ensured the with the steady income iv always had. current job perk are Inside office desk job, full insurance/dental
cell phone,3 weeks vacation, salary paid, work starts at 8:30 and end at 5:00 almost no required overtime
hour lunch break, 2 miles from my house, wife also works here so we car pool, I dont have to notify anybody
if im going to use a sick day or vacation day. i can just take off if i need to leave during the middle of the day
if i need to get something taken care of and theres no work. down side is the overal pay is pretty low at about 25k
a year.

Possible have an option to leave my current position and apply for a job with TU
from my house is a 29 miles drive just to work, most work is outside with some inside air conditioned.
work hours will change from 5am to the standard 8am depending on work schedual and ends at 5pm
some saturdays overtime is required depending on what experiments are getting ran.
pay is hourly but the average is slightly better at 26-28k a year. If my wife or I wanted we could possible
take classes at TU for free, get the standard school vacation days off which is like 13 or 14 or so. plus all
standard TU benefits.

Whats more important when you guys are looking for jobs? better pay and a chance to learn a new job or living closer to a job that you already know

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, for the headache of it all, 1-3k/per year isn't worth it. If you want to do it so you can have greater opportunities in the future, well that's a different story. Would the new job provide you with better opportunities than the current? A stable job is nice but complaciency can be the enemy of ambition.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't make the decision based on salary/benefits/perks. Are you adding value and maximizing your potential where you are? If so, you'd better have a real reason to change. If not, can you change that where you are? If not, you'd better find a way to do that--at the new opportunity or elsewhere. Men weren't meant to just coast. That's my two cents.

Artic-Z

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Honestly, for the headache of it all, 1-3k/per year isn't worth it. If you want to do it so you can have greater opportunities in the future, well that's a different story. Would the new job provide you with better opportunities than the current? A stable job is nice but complaciency can be the enemy of ambition.

new current job is basically a glorified print shop manager, I have 10 years under my belt here.
I have no chance for position gain here unless the owner dies. I've worked hard to get where im at here but
ill be honoest, I've gotten lazy here considering most my time is spent behind a moniter.

new job would be working at TU's special projects lab helping with running oil refining machines
the chance for a better job i think would be a lot greater in this field but it would take some time and i still got alot to learn.

I wouldn't make the decision based on salary/benefits/perks. Are you adding value and maximizing your potential where you are? If so, you'd better have a real reason to change. If not, can you change that where you are? If not, you'd better find a way to do that--at the new opportunity or elsewhere. Men weren't meant to just coast. That's my two cents.

No value can be added to my current position what so ever.
I dont feel im being used to my full potential here. maybe value could be added?
but that would require the owner to invest my attention/change but i know that wont happen.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No value can be added to my current position what so ever.

Let me re-word that. Are you adding value to your organization? If you're not in a position where you can improve something or earn some money for the firm or solve people's problems or create something nifty, find a way to fix that. At the end of the day, you've got to look in that mirror and know that you fought a battle and won.

Latest posts

Top Bottom