Lights for home defense gnuns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67RS/SSx2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering mounting a Surefire 6PX tactical with a remote switch on a autoloading 12 ga shotgun for home defense. And a Fury Defender on an AR15 for same purpose. Good idea or bad?

This would be less expensive than a "weapons light" but there must be a good reason the "weapons lights" cost so much. I just don't know the reason. Educate me!

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surefire's, I know, are supposed to handle the recoil of firearms. That way the batteries don't cut out under the recoil. I'm not a big fan of remote switches, just another point of failure and wires that you have to manage. Some people like them though. They make some high output lights, but I think 60 lumens is more than adequate, especially in a house. Btw, I've ran a 4sevens light on an AR with no problems. However, I prefer it as a handheld and replaced it with a dedicated weapon light.

xnavychief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a surefire 951 and do like it for it modularity, upgradability, cool looks etc, but just out of curiosity I took a $26 nebo redline 5557 to the range and ran 4 mags(120 rounds) in various slow/fast fire speeds, and it didn't blink at the 220 lumen setting. This after I had already tried to drown it in a 55 gallon barrel and couldn't. I think there's a lot of hype in the weapons light industry just as all others. I keep a nebo 230 protec($30 amazon + free shipping) on my couch pistol as well. I'll take 12 - 15 nebo's over a single surefire anyday, or better yet, a new gun for the price of most.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of Nebo's I got from Amazon too, and they are good lights. Don't know about Surefire but I have a Fenix which is a good light too.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a weapon light I want the ability to sweep with the beam using very brief momentary "ons". Depending on your setup, a remote switch might make this more practical.

For very small spaces (like a house), I find the illumination from anything much over 100 lumens is blinding to my dark-adapted eyes. To me, the 500 lumen setting on the Fury is not useful for indoors. Even my 200 lumen Surefire is too bright.

I've become pretty comfortable using my TLR-1. Although, even with it (120 lumens?), if I flash myself off a door-jamb or something light colored and close, it's somewhat blinding.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering mounting a Surefire 6PX tactical with a remote switch on a autoloading 12 ga shotgun for home defense. And a Fury Defender on an AR15 for same purpose. Good idea or bad?

This would be less expensive than a "weapons light" but there must be a good reason the "weapons lights" cost so much. I just don't know the reason. Educate me!

Nothing wrong with them just make sure you use good quality mounts.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I flash myself off, it's not typically using a door jamb (I prefer cougars), and if you're blinding yourself you need to work on your aim. Cougars are good for that, their experience makes them educational as well as fun.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I flash myself off, it's not typically using a door jamb (I prefer cougars), and if you're blinding yourself you need to work on your aim. Cougars are good for that, their experience makes them educational as well as fun.

well that kind of aim i do practice too rarely...

but i have been wondering if the bulb is supposed to face forward on the rail... :hithead: